Hangar prices.

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I know that we have discussed this before, but I was wondering if most hangars have a set price that everyone pays (for similar T-type hangars) or do new renters generally pay more than established long-term renters.. I have been in my hangar for over 10 years and up until three years ago, annual price increases have been minimal. But over the past three years my rent has gone from $420 to $570/month. I paid it because the hangar is convenient to my house and my trusted A&P was on-site. My A&P has now retired, so I checked out another airport that is only slightly further away and has more facilities than my airport. I expected to pay more, but $1275/month? YIKES.

Currently I am in a T-hangar and the one I was looking at is a community hangar. I guess I thought community hangars might be less, but I guess not.

How much variation in hangar prices have you seen at airports around 10 miles apart?

I know that we have discussed this before, but I was wondering if most hangars have a set price that everyone pays (for similar T-type hangars) or do new renters generally pay more than established long-term renters.. I have been in my hangar for over 10 years and up until three years ago, annual price increases have been minimal. But over the past three years my rent has gone from $420 to $570/month. I paid it because the hangar is convenient to my house and my trusted A&P was on-site. My A&P has now retired, so I checked out another airport that is only slightly further away and has more facilities than my airport. I expected to pay more, but $1275/month? YIKES.

Currently I am in a T-hangar and the one I was looking at is a community hangar. I guess I thought community hangars might be less, but I guess not.

How much variation in hangar prices have you seen at airports around 10 miles apart?
Wow. That's a jump! At my airport me and my 2 immediate hangar neighbors are paying the same price. We have identical size. IDK if others before us got grandfathered in at some favorable rate.

A little outside you range parameter but my neighbors...
KDPA (homebase) / Towered / ~$731 month - heated... (It's climbed 8% from ~$676 when I moved in there in 2020)
06C (8 mi away) / Non-Towered (single runway) / Waiting list but for a comparable unit to above $605-$860 (but you have to live a stone's throw away from O'Hare Airport under a low bravo shelf :))
KARR (14 mi away) / Towered / None available now, but last time I saw it was ~$650-700 month
KDKB (20 mi away) / Non-Towered / ~$471 month - heated
KLOT (19 mi away) / Towered / ~$315/month - non-heated

EDIT: These are all T-Hangars. Not community hangar pricing.

Last edited:
We just had a price increase due to inflationary pressures.

Small T’s - $290
Large T’s - $362
48’x40’ Box - $539

At KBED the T-hangars had a range of prices based on things like sliding door, bi-fold door. Back in 2006 there was one (maybe two) T-hangars that were heated (and cost quite a bit more). No discounts for different people (at least not that I know of) - new renters, old renters pay the same outrageou$ price.

Initially I had one of the old Ts (sliding door) but upgraded to one of the new ones (electric bi-fold). Circa 2006 the monthly rent went from $505 to $606 so I bailed and simply got a tie-down from the USAF aeroclub (at the time, it was $75/month)... much nicer on the wallet. Not sure how much
ma$$port is charging now.

Depends on the airport. It might be a permanent rate, it might be an across-the-board increase, or maybe tenants at some point had contracts that locked in a rate for life and the ones who came in under that are peotected from rent hikes. There are also airports where the manager makes bro deals, both with rates and with the wait list. Not saying they take bribes, but that the good ‘ol boys club still exists in some places and won’t go away until people age out and leave or the government entity that owns the airport is willing to bring in fresh blood.

Prices in Florida have gone crazy high. There are not many hangars available,the price for a group hangar in a busy airport ,have tripled in the last two years. Check out Srq you’ll be shocked.

Same for old and new tenants in T-hangars at FIN. There are new hangars that went for a nominal amount more. Pretty sure I'm at $325/mo plus tax. Wait list is long.

My spot in the heated community hangar has gone up to about $235/mo recently, just a few years ago it was 180. I had talked to a guy who was gonna buy a large hangar in Hannibal and divide it into T-hangars but he said he'd have to charge well over $200/mo just to break even and he felt like that was too much. Rural midwest pricing.

The real issue is nothing is available and nobody wants to build.

I suppose I should have mentioned that my $570 T-hangar is at a Class Delta airport with very limited services. The $1,275 hangar is at a Class Charlie airport with a full service (Sheltair) FBO and a very good maintenance and avionics shop (Daytona Aviation). I assumed those two considerations would rate about a $200 or $300 increase. I was not expecting a $705/month difference.

edit: The good news is that I don't resent my current hangar rate as much any more.

Last edited:
I just moved from a large T at an untowered field just inside a class B at $285/mo to a similar size but nicer T at a rural class D at $175/mo with cheaper gas and better facilities. I believe there are still hangars available here. Most I ever paid was ~$850/mo a couple of years ago for a very large T with an attached office at a non-towered field in northern CA with limited facilities. Loved the place but wouldn't go back.

ETA: all three examples are county-managed and to the best of my knowledge everyone paid the same rate for the same size. Price increases (some small, some large) annually at all 3.

Nauga,
who has had amazing luck finding hangar space (and is grateful for it)

Last edited:
My local field has 4 rows of newish (all less than 4 years old) T-hangars. Those that had a hangar before the beginning of this year got a small price increase, but still pay a good bit less than those who leased after the beginning of the year.

I have two hangars, one at the lower rate and one at the new rate.

Are these city owned, or privately owned?

At my home airport (untowered, rural Minnesota,) the T hangars with southern exposure command a premium of $25/mo because of the extra hassle of snow and ice removal from the shaded north-facing T hangars. Other than that, everyone pays the same rate. The cost is laughably low compared to those mentioned in this thread ($150-175/mo,) but apparently a modest rate increase a few years ago rustled some jimmies and caused a few of the long-term tenants to unass the airport. I was more than happy to slide in behind them, after languishing on the waiting list at nearby class D for a few years (and counting.) They could probably raise the rent 300% before I'd look for greener pastures... please don't tell the city council.

I’m at a small non-towered airport outside Columbus. Started at $200, now after a couple years of price hikes up to $245. T-hangar, electric bi-fold doors, full electric available.

None of the prices quoted seem unreasonable. Price docks and inside boat storage.

I just got a market survey for my former airport where a developer that owns the hangars at the Charlie 121-service int'l across town is apparently nosing to build a dozen bifold T-hangars.

Their pitch comes to about a 400% premium over my last rate before the plane went kablewy last year. It also happens to exceed my family's housing costs in current circumstances, so obviously I can't relate to this stuff anymore.

I suppose kudos for them at least offering options to alleviate the waiting list. I'll be curious to see if they gain any traction. I have no doubt they would clear the backlog if the city imposed the rate these developers are asking for. I think they'd sit empty , but I'm just a non-WFH schmuck that still works with his hands, so maybe the K-economy just left me behind. *shrugs*

Funny, just saw a thread about sheltair on the piperforum.

At my home airport (untowered, rural Minnesota,) the T hangars with southern exposure command a premium of $25/mo because of the extra hassle of snow and ice removal from the shaded north-facing T hangars. Other than that, everyone pays the same rate. The cost is laughably low compared to those mentioned in this thread ($150-175/mo,) but apparently a modest rate increase a few years ago rustled some jimmies and caused a few of the long-term tenants to unass the airport. I was more than happy to slide in behind them, after languishing on the waiting list at nearby class D for a few years (and counting.) They could probably raise the rent 300% before I'd look for greener pastures... please don't tell the city council.
I lived in MN for 11 months a few short years ago. The only thing that I miss is the unbelievably cheap new T-hangar unit I had at PEX.

At my airport, city T-hangars rent for $250. On the north side, there are private hangars renting for $1000+ per month (for a similar size, slightly higher quality). I wonder what would happen if the city adopted a “market” price; or even $500/mo

Wow. That's a jump! At my airport me and my 2 immediate hangar neighbors are paying the same price. We have identical size. IDK if others before us got grandfathered in at some favorable rate.

KDPA (homebase) / Towered / ~$731 month - heated... (It's climbed 8% from ~$676 when I moved in there in 2020)
06C (8 mi away) / Non-Towered (single runway) / Waiting list but for a comparable unit to above $605-$860 (but you have to live a stone's throw away from O'Hare Airport under a low bravo shelf :))
KARR (14 mi away) / Towered / None available now, but last time I saw it was ~$650-700 month

Any idea what 3CK is getting for a T-hangar? I left there 10 years ago and it wasn't too bad.

The real issue is nothing is available and nobody wants to build.
Not entirely true. I just partnered with a hangar development group here in Georgia. They are aware of the hangar shortage and are ground leasing land at several airports throughout the southeast. We're just getting started, but we do have over 200K SF of hangar development in the pipeline that should deliver 1Q25. The first round will be in Georgia. Feel free to PM/EM if interested.

www.flockrealtygroup.com
www.apn.aero
#AviationRealEstate

Not entirely true. I just partnered with a hangar development group here in Georgia. They are aware of the hangar shortage and are ground leasing land at several airports throughout the southeast. We're just getting started, but we do have over 200K SF of hangar development in the pipeline that should deliver 1Q25. The first round will be in Georgia. Feel free to PM/EM if interested.

www.flockrealtygroup.com
www.apn.aero
#AviationRealEstate
That's good to hear, but do you have any idea what the rates will be for a basic T-hanger? Will you even be building T-hangars or other hangars suitable for some of us small plane owners?

Last I saw, a spot in a new 80x80 community hangar was going for $300-400/mo (depending on aircraft size) at a Class E strip 30 miles outside of Tulsa. Seems a little steep given the area, but the hangar is new within the last year at a pretty vibrant EAA-chapter airport.

Any idea what 3CK is getting for a T-hangar? I left there 10 years ago and it wasn't too bad.
Looks like $320 a month (no heat?). But naturally there's a waiting list...
That seems pretty on-par with other hangars in the area.
1718724314677.png

I saw some at KARR, Skyhaven for 500-600 a month earlier in the year. I would rather spend that money there than KDPA. I had an unheated hangar at Dupage. One outlet good enough for a light or small electrical device, shared with the overhead lights. That was about it. Usually KARR ones are heated, tons of lights and outlets, and some have full bathrooms. DeKalb, for the longer drive, doesnt save you much, but I have heard the hangars for sale are cheaper that KARR.

I'm at KIWA. I know another pilot renting a T for $650. They're selling a T for $250,000 and a box for $500,000. I don't have it in me to pay more for a hangar than the plane is worth at an airport that doesn't even want me there anyways.

I'm at KIWA. I know another pilot renting a T for $650. They're selling a T for $250,000 and a box for $500,000. I don't have it in me to pay more for a hangar than the plane is worth at an airport that doesn't even want me there anyways.
I’m not sure why IWA hates small GA, but I totally agree with you that it does.

How large are the box hangars for $500k?

If you assume T-hangars are $250k to purchase/build, and extrapolate what the rent would have to be to pay a hypothetical mortgage on $250k…. the unpleasant reality is that it ain’t $300/mo…. :/

Our airport had set rates but incorporated annual CPI increases for all leases. However we recently had some new hangars coming available so did some market analysis, and took the time to evaluate the rate structure and reset the rates and simplified the rate structure. For most the rate stayed pretty much the same, but we went from having 5 different rates with no rhyme or reason why, to 3 different rates. We are still keeping with the annual CPI increases. It allows small adjustments year to year rather than one large increase at random times.

That being said, everyone complains there aren't enough hangars, but if you try to price hangars high enough to make them financially viable they complain to. Its a lose/lose situation.

They complain about the higher rates…. But do the hangars then sit empty?

There is definately complaining about higher rates, but I’m not convinced people are walking away from hangars because of the price..

If you assume T-hangars are $250k to purchase/build, and extrapolate what the rent would have to be to pay a hypothetical mortgage on $250k…. the unpleasant reality is that it ain’t $300/mo…. :/
Except if you are doing T hangars they aren't 250k a pop. More like 250k for 3.5-4 spots. At least in **** you country.

They complain about the higher rates…. But do the hangars then sit empty?

There is definately complaining about higher rates, but I’m not convinced people are walking away from hangars because of the price..

I, for one, walked away ($606/month in 2006... now that would be almost $960/month).

Supply might be better if some of the hangars weren't used to store anything but an airplane. :-/

That's good to hear, but do you have any idea what the rates will be for a basic T-hanger?
It depends on the airport and the hangar itself. I have a pretty extensive database of comps in the area and I'm happy to share what I know. Give me a call anytime if you want to check to see if what you're being quoted is a "market rate."

I have been in my hangar for over 10 years and up until three years ago, annual price increases have been minimal.
I see you are in Florida. What part? Also, what kind of aircraft? I do know of some hangar availability in Florida.

Except if you are doing T hangars they aren't 250k a pop. More like 250k for 3.5-4 spots. At least in **** you country.

Our airport just built a bank of 10 T's, $1.5M. $250k isn't building much these days.

Works out to $150k per unit. Say you wanted a 20 year ROI, works out to $625 per month, not including utilities and upkeep.

Our airport just built a bank of 10 T's, $1.5M. $250k isn't building much these days.

Works out to $150k per unit. Say you wanted a 20 year ROI, works out to $625 per month, not including utilities and upkeep.
How fancy though? What kind of construction? We're getting ready to do a personal hangar in the next few years, and the prices we are seeing is about that for a box hangar, not a T.

How fancy though? What kind of construction? We're getting ready to do a personal hangar in the next few years, and the prices we are seeing is about that for a box hangar, not a T.

Basic Erect-A-Tube hangars. Steel frame, 43 foot wide doors, 14 foot high. Basic lights and outlets, no heat or insulation, concrete floors.

Back