Gaston’s 2024, who’s in? Sept. 27-29. 3M0 or KBPK.

Which weekend

• Sept. 20-22

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Sept. 27-29

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Oct. 4-6

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They're missing a key aspect, though: Flying *in* the mountains and landing at high altitude backcountry strips, which to me was really the highlight.
(3U2 if you're looking... Lots of great USFS strips in the area too.)
View attachment 132067

As I understand it, CPA is more about flying *around* the mountains.

Which, I must admit, is also fun. Once you understand what's going on around the mountains and how to make use of it, you can do fun tricks like this: (Yes, normally aspirated)

View attachment 132066
Their ground covers everything, but unless you bring your own plane or have hours in their rentals, they’ll avoid the shorter high elevation strips. We definitely did pass/ridge crossings at 500 AGL and briefed emergencies and turn backs. It’s not all in but a really good primer for this sort of work.

You're descending so fast it looks like a climb???

:eek: :eek:
:rofl:

Naah, that's pegged on the +2000 side. Too bad I didn't have my GI275 yet or I'd be able to look at the logs to see what the actual climb rate was. Probably not much more than that, but it's always fun to ride the ridge lift.

Just booked mine.
I asked about remaining availability and they said they still have 2 cottage style places left (~160$), a couple standard rooms (~120$), and then just 2 BRs.

Booked the 2 bedroom. Sept 26-29. What dates are everyone doing?

While we were out for expenses related to the house, we are out doubly as April's uncle was diagnosed Stage IV Hepatic this week and given a survival time frame of not that long. So that weekend we are going to Muscle Shoals/Florence to see him along with additional family coming in from NC and AR.

Back