Garmin Data Card

What is going on?

• Garmin has a sense of humor - they really don’t take money from those who accidentally buy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Garmin 16 GB FAT 32 card really is different

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

WDD

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Vintage Snazzy (so my adult children say)
A new GTN650xi data card from Garmin costs $499.

Are you talking about the internal card or the user accessible one? One of the differences between the Xi and older non-Xi units (aside from screen, performance, etc) is the Xi has an internal data card that everything gets copied to. As a result, it no longer requires the use of TSO'd data cards for the user accessible card. Certainly you can buy it if you like, but it's not necessary... I presume the $499 card they are offering is the same TSO'd card that is actually technically required on the earlier non-Xi units.

Screenshot 2024-07-12 at 15.28.56.png

Why is Garmin selling data cards for $499 when you can format and download your data update on a $30 card?

Am I missing something? I'm about to buy a GTN 650xi - I can't find anything telling me I need this $499 data card.

Why is Garmin selling data cards for $499 when you can format and download your data update on a $30 card?

Am I missing something? I'm about to buy a GTN 650xi - I can't find anything telling me I need this $499 data card.
You don't - Your 1 "official" card will come with the GTN. The one from Amazon also works. Garmin claims your wings will fall off if it's not a Certified card. The xi series have given up on that fallacy, the pre xi stuff works fine with any FAT32 card also.

Why is Garmin selling data cards for $499 when you can format and download your data update on a $30
$30 is way too much for a 4GB SD card.
I'm about to buy a GTN 650xi - I can't find anything telling me I need this $499 data card.
It’s certified, but you don’t need certification. Maybe someone else does, but not you. If you are paranoid, just take the card out after you do the database update so nobody will know.

Read the photo Ryan posted closely. It will tell you what you need to know.

FYI - I have heard of at least one FSDO checking data cards when doing inspections to see if the cards are correct or not. So take that into consideration when making a decision.

Xi does does not need the expensive card, as the card is not required to be in the unit when flying.

TSOd card is needed in non-Xi GTNs as the Terrain Database lives on the card. So the card is REQUIRED for flight.

With a cheap card work? Sure. Is your plane legal with the cheap card? No.

You don't - Your 1 "official" card will come with the GTN. The one from Amazon also works. Garmin claims your wings will fall off if it's not a Certified card. The xi series have given up on that fallacy, the pre xi stuff works fine with any FAT32 card also.
It is not a fallacy. The pre-Xi units require the card to use the unit in flight, as there is data on it. The Xi versions have more memory, so the card is only used to load the database updates and then can be removed.

The G3X does not need a TSOd card either, as it is not required. It is used to log data if it is present.

There is the same issue with the G-1000 in that a certain card much be in the unit for operation.

FYI, if anyone needs a Garmin GTN card, I have the one that came out of my 650 when I upgraded to an Xi.

It is not a fallacy. The pre-Xi units require the card to use the unit in flight, as there is data on it. The Xi versions have more memory, so the card is only used to load the database updates and then can be removed.
Not what I said. While it's strictly not compliant with the STC, a non-Garmin card will work just fine in a non-xi GTN. Yes it needs to stay in the unit, but there's no secret code in the card that says it's TSO or not. Just the sticker.

Back