Frank Lloyd Wright-designed pilots lounge

Van Johnston

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Van Johnston
Interesting article in the local paper about a couple restoring the pilots lounge at the Flying L Dude Ranch in Bandera TX. The lounge and guest villas were designed by Wright. Scroll thru the photos at the top of the story for some vintage images of the fly-in resort, including aerial calf roping. Wonder what they would do if they actually roped one.

http://www.expressnews.com/news/loc...de7854d6fa174&cmpid=fb-premium#photo-10957708

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 64
To bad the runway is gone. Would have liked to fly there to see it.

A few years ago my dad and I were attending a sales meeting at the Arizona Biltmore hotel. At the time I was under the mistaken impression that Frank Lloyd Wright was the architect, which is actually a common misconception.

Anyway, my dad, who grew up in the projects in Buffalo, NY, was underwhelmed by the architecture. After gazing around the courtyard for a while he said, "These buildings remind me of the projects I grew up in in Buffalo." I said, "But dad, this place was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright!" To which he replied, "Hmmm. He must have designed our projects, too."

Flying_L_Ranch_TX_Stinson.jpg

1024x1024.jpg

I hope they are successful and bring back the runway. That would be an awesome place to add to the list of fly-aways for the weekend.

Interesting story and photos, especially since I'm a Texan. Too bad it won't resume aviation operations - seems to put a bit of a damper on the story.

Nice Navion in the first picture. While mine isn't a real FLW design (he'd have never approved of my hangar/garages), it's inspired by it.

11119618454_f4dabeb293.jpg

Back