Fluctuating altimeter on takeoff

AA5Bman

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
He who ironically no longer flies an AA5B
Hi all - I have been thinking about buying a turbo 206 and went to test fly one recently. One thing I noticed is that when the owner’s pilot applied full throttle at takeoff, the altimeter bounced around wildly (+/-200 feet for 1-2 seconds) but then settled down and remained steady the remainder of flight. What could possibly cause this? The thing absolutely ripped, and it occurs to me that maybe there’s so much air moving past the static ports and pressure change when the throttle is applied that it causes erroneous readings and is normal, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard of or seen this before. Anyone ever seen anything like this, or have an opinion on whether or not this is an indication the pitot/static system is due for major repairs?

Hi all - I have been thinking about buying a turbo 206 and went to test fly one recently. One thing I noticed is that when the owner’s pilot applied full throttle at takeoff, the altimeter bounced around wildly (+/-200 feet for 1-2 seconds) but then settled down and remained steady the remainder of flight. What could possibly cause this? The thing absolutely ripped, and it occurs to me that maybe there’s so much air moving past the static ports and pressure change when the throttle is applied that it causes erroneous readings and is normal, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard of or seen this before. Anyone ever seen anything like this, or have an opinion on whether or not this is an indication the pitot/static system is due for major repairs?
If your theory is correct (and may be) the moving air past the static port could cause a brief incorrect reading for the sudden rush of air but doesn't justify "bounced around wildly".. you could temporarily swap out the altimeter if you have access to one

Anyone ever seen anything like this, or have an opinion on whether or not this is an indication the pitot/static system is due for major repairs?
Some airplanes and helicopter will experience this phenomenon. As long as the reading stabilizes and does not continue there shouldn’t be an issue with the system.

Some airplanes and helicopter will experience this phenomenon. As long as the reading stabilizes and does not continue there shouldn’t be an issue with the system.
It's obviously reasonable the air disturbances around the pitot system components immediately following application of takeoff power in a high powered airplane could cause momentary fluctuations in airspeed indication. A 200' change in altitude display is a tiny change in pressure, .2" Hg.

Your recommendation is much better than just "doing something."

Besides, it's not the OP's aircraft. He was flying it for consideration of purchase.

Where are the static ports located? If one is on the left side of the fuselage aft of midship, it's going to get a slap of propwash when power is applied while stationary.

Back