First day of flight training in a week and I still need a headset—what are your suggestions?

VN_mE

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
VN_mE
So I am a little older than most of my peers in my flight program and have some hearing loss from over a decade of military work.

I really would like to get an ANR headset with Bluetooth, but don’t want to spend over $700. I have a friend offering up his moderately used A20’s (no BT) with LEMO $650, another friend (helicopter pilot) offering his brand new Zulu 3’s for $600, (that requires a helo to Lemo adapter) or I can buy a brand new set of Sierras for $700.

Which way would you guys go and why?

Welcome to PoA!

I got both of my Zulus used, so I'd say to get the Zulus, assuming they have GA plugs and not helicopter plugs.

I wouldn't bother with something you'd need an adapter for. More weight, point of failure, and takes up space. You could get an entry level headset while you shop around and decide, and then use it for pax in the future. On the other hand the school might have loaners.

Welcome to PoA!

I got both of my Zulus used, so I'd say to get the Zulus, assuming they have GA plugs and not helicopter plugs.
Hey thanks! The Zulu’s have the helicopter plug, unfortunately so I’d have to buy the adapter. It’s a huge investment for me at the moment and I’m worried about making the wrong decision.

I wouldn't bother with something you'd need an adapter for. More weight, point of failure, and takes up space. You could get an entry level headset while you shop around and decide, and then use it for pax in the future. On the other hand the school might have loaners.
The extra point of failure is a good point. With that reasoning, the used Bose A20’s might be the way to go since we all start off in the Cirrus with panel power. I won’t be able to afford another headset until I am gainfully employed, I’m riding the GI Bill and a few scholarships through a 141 program with a part time job and I don’t make much.

Neither of those heads are a deal because of lost warranty and adapter needs. The only downside of Sierras is the cord is not as durable as the Zulu, you will be happy with the Sierra headset.

I’d buy what I fly today. A pair of Dave Clark H13-4s and wear foamies underneath. I spent 2800hrs on the E-3 wearing this combo and I prefer it over my wife’s LightSpeeds.

I don’t care about bluetooth, because the audio panel has it and my phone connects just fine thru that to my headset for music or calls.

Many companies have 30 day return options. Try 2 or 3, see which you like best. A headset is the best investment you can make. New one means warrantee.

I’d buy what I fly today. A pair of Dave Clark H13-4s and wear foamies underneath. I spent 2800hrs on the E-3 wearing this combo and I prefer it over my wife’s LightSpeeds.

I don’t care about bluetooth, because the audio panel has it and my phone connects just fine thru that to my headset for music or calls.
You’re a bit of a rarity, I haven’t run into a 13B who is actively flying for a while. Are you a patch?

I’ve used the same combo on a different jet and didn’t care for it, not to mention GA single’s are a totally different kind of loud. I’m happy it works for you, but ANR is where it’s at.

LEMO is just another plug & adaptor to fuss with; I’d pass. Both ANR & BT are worth the premium. Naturally, coming off of a career in the military, I’m a fan of David Clark. The DC one-x have Bluetooth. Something to be said for warranties.

The control unit of my Clarks has a clothing clip which got hung-up in my jacket when I got out of the plane. The clip fit in the split plastic casing between the halves & so levered the control unit into two parts, breaking out the screw posts. I was out of warranty, but was registered. So Clark sent me a brand new pair with the latest firmware version for free.

However, I bought a set of inexpensive KORE KA-1’s for my passenger side. At $200, a bargain. I have swapped headsets with my wife (she wanted BT music for a while), and so I wore the Kore. I was quite surprised how good the Kore are. A little more bulky & heavy than the DCs, but perfectly acceptable. They’d be a good interim solution until you find your ANR/BT headsets.

I flew MANY hours over the years with passive David Clarks. In higher noise planes, I might put foam plugs under them.

Much less expensive that ANR. Durable and great support. And cheap.

You’re a bit of a rarity, I haven’t run into a 13B who is actively flying for a while. Are you a patch?

No. I left the jet in ‘07 for CRC then back to back ALO tours. Retired in ‘16. I was also in GA before I came to the Air Force and did some GA while active.

…I’ve used the same combo on a different jet and didn’t care for it, not to mention GA single’s are a totally different kind of loud. I’m happy it works for you, but ANR is where it’s at.
I was doing flight testing with the Bose whatevers in 2004 and put a couple hundred hours on with them. For me, the headband/middle pivot point was downright uncomfortable. Then I was one of more than a few who was getting some type of static/electric shock on an earlobe. Annoying as all get out.

Nobody could explain why some of us got the shock and others didn’t. First time it happened, I documented it and traded in the headset. Bose took it back and couldn’t find a reason for the shock. Happened on different headsets with different people on different tails.

That’s part of why I never made the switch.

I went the in-ear route. Found this one on Amazon, has ANR and does well for me, for under $350.
It has an audio jack (1/8" TRRS) and it came with a small battery-operated bluetooth connector that can plug into that jack. I have not used that feature on the headset yet, but it's there.
1719165473201.png

My head is on the smaller side, so I had to modify the wire a bit that wraps around, but after I did that, I like these a lot more than using over-ear style.

Last edited:
So I am a little older than most of my peers in my flight program and have some hearing loss from over a decade of military work.

I really would like to get an ANR headset with Bluetooth, but don’t want to spend over $700. I have a friend offering up his moderately used A20’s (no BT) with LEMO $650, another friend (helicopter pilot) offering his brand new Zulu 3’s for $600, (that requires a helo to Lemo adapter) or I can buy a brand new set of Sierras for $700.

For all the reasons you mentions, add 400 to your budget and get A20 with blue tooth.
I did in 2015 when I was training @55 years old. Hearing well is very important while training. And if you have hearing loss then it is all the more important. I am still using my A20 9 years later and I fly a lot. That's a really good value.

Sometimes I wear my wife's Sierra 's and they sound like they are 400-500 bucks less than the A20. They provide less ANR which make them louder to wear.
So glad I spent the money one time the first time for the A20. They sound 500 dollars better than the sierra's.

BTW I flew with flight school headsets for the first couple months before I bought my own. Good luck on your training.

Last edited:
No. I left the jet in ‘07 for CRC then back to back ALO tours. Retired in ‘16. I was also in GA before I came to the Air Force and did some GA while active.

I was doing flight testing with the Bose whatevers in 2004 and put a couple hundred hours on with them. For me, the headband/middle pivot point was downright uncomfortable. Then I was one of more than a few who was getting some type of static/electric shock on an earlobe. Annoying as all get out.

Nobody could explain why some of us got the shock and others didn’t. First time it happened, I documented it and traded in the headset. Bose took it back and couldn’t find a reason for the shock. Happened on different headsets with different people on different tails.

That’s part of why I never made the switch.
My mistake, I thought you meant you were actively flying on the jet. Not much of that happening these days. Congrats on the retirement though, I’m sure it’s well earned.

I certainly understand your reasoning. I’ve had the opposite experience though and surely benefitted from the tech having another decade or so of development before making it on my head.

Go on eBay or solicit “WTB” in this space. Find a cheap pair of non-ANR’s. Use those until you get your license, then let your passenger use ‘em once you buy a nice set of ANR’s for yourself following successful completion of your license.

The dropout rate for student pilots is high. No sense in spending big bucks until you have your license.

Go on eBay or solicit “WTB” in this space. Find a cheap pair of non-ANR’s. Use those until you get your license, then let your passenger use ‘em once you buy a nice set of ANR’s for yourself following successful completion of your license.

The dropout rate for student pilots is high. No sense in spending big bucks until you have your license.
I am amazed at how many of my students own expensive headsets.

I have used David Clark products for years both passive and ANR ,very happy with their head sets and ongoing support.

My mistake, I thought you meant you were actively flying on the jet. Not much of that happening these days. Congrats on the retirement though, I’m sure it’s well earned.

I certainly understand your reasoning. I’ve had the opposite experience though and surely benefitted from the tech having another decade or so of development before making it on my head.

No worries. My time on the jet was just about perfect…late 2000 until ‘07. OIF, OEF, then to the OSS and FTU as an instructor then later evaluator. I didn’t do much sitting around, especially on deployment.

Without knowing what your long term goal is for aviation, it’s hard for me to justify spending OPM, and what works for one doesn’t work for all.

My recommendation is go to a pilot shop that’s got several brands/models and find the one that fits best with the features you want/need and buy/cry once. Used headsets have other people’s lice, sweat, and nastiness baked in for only 80% of new. Adapters just make it worse because it’s one more thing to forget at the end of a lesson. You’ll likely spend more on your dual cross country flight than you will on the headset.

I'll agree with a cheap set to start with but for a slightly different reason i.e. the day that you are quite frustrated with yourself or a poor instructor and you launch them across the ramp ... well you won't have lost much! ;)

You hearing is important, get the best you can afford. For pistons I vote DC OneX. They are over the ear. And work better for small to average size heads. Not as hot as the Bose. The in ear ones work good but it's like spaghetti some times for the guys I see wearing them. While non ANR headsets will get some noise deadening, the ANR has clearer voice reception both for inter phone and radio.

The David Clark's are very robust, and their warranty is as good as Bose. I have one set of the ProX (on ear type), but they tend to move off the sweet spot real easy, they are now relegated to computer gaming headsets.

My son was very hard on his headsets, one controller slammed in the door, one dropped on ground and dragged 10 to 15 feet. Both repaired no cost for 5 year warranty period. I was ready to pay a couple hundred each, but DC said no.

Some flight schools have rentals for $5 each day, so try some out. They probably won't be ANR, but your instructor may have an ANR you could try for a few minutes.

Last edited:
Gave me reason not to quit.
It is amazing how many don't make it, it never crossed my mind that I wouldn't finish.

Knowing your background, I don’t think the headset is why you finished.

I'll agree with a cheap set to start with but for a slightly different reason i.e. the day that you are quite frustrated with yourself or a poor instructor and you launch them across the ramp ... well you won't have lost much! ;)
I burnt through that version of myself in my mid twenties when I was just a boot on the ground hoping the fast jets would show up and save our butts. Was humbled many, many, many, many, times—I’m sure the same will happen in flight training but I’ve figured out how to win or learn and I think that will carry me through training.

No worries. My time on the jet was just about perfect…late 2000 until ‘07. OIF, OEF, then to the OSS and FTU as an instructor then later evaluator. I didn’t do much sitting around, especially on deployment.

Without knowing what your long term goal is for aviation, it’s hard for me to justify spending OPM, and what works for one doesn’t work for all.

My recommendation is go to a pilot shop that’s got several brands/models and find the one that fits best with the features you want/need and buy/cry once. Used headsets have other people’s lice, sweat, and nastiness baked in for only 80% of new. Adapters just make it worse because it’s one more thing to forget at the end of a lesson. You’ll likely spend more on your dual cross country flight than you will on the headset.
I made a few buddies that fly for various units as I’m sure you did in your time, one of them is working on putting a star in soon and he encouraged me to finish my degree and my flight training and promised a strong reference if I can get my crap together and get in front of a board.

I’ve never had that kind of support, so I’m just going for it now.

My suggestion for all students: use for the first couple of flights a headset provided by the flight school. This gives you the first hand experience and the possibility to determine what your preferences are. Consider buying your own headset when you are pretty sure that flying is for you and you wish to continue with your training.

Unless you opt for some Chinese clones, quality ANR headsets come with a hefty price sticker. But it is an investment to protect a crucial assert that cannot be replaced easily - your hearing.

Just as a warning: compared with all other (unexpected) expenses during your flight training, the headset is one of the cheaper items.

I made a few buddies that fly for various units as I’m sure you did in your time, one of them is working on putting a star in soon and he encouraged me to finish my degree and my flight training and promised a strong reference if I can get my crap together and get in front of a board.

I’ve never had that kind of support, so I’m just going for it now.

The biggest thing to keep in mind for a WOFT/OCS pkg is age limit and waiverability.

I found a very lightly used DC One-X for about that price, right here on PoA. Love 'em.

Look around and there are deals to be had. As stated above, not everyone who starts training and buys a headset completes their cert. There are a lot of reasons why this happens, and some of them result in an opportunity for someone else.

Do you wear hearing aids? I've only tried a few, but the LightSpeed line seems to have a larger ear cushion that fits a Behind The Ear hearing aid better.
Other than that, most companies will give you a period of time to try them to see if you like them. If your flight school has loaners, I'd probably wear them till I found one that fits me and is comfortable wearing for several hours at a time.

I burnt through that version of myself in my mid twenties when I was just a boot on the ground hoping the fast jets would show up and save our butts. Was humbled many, many, many, many, times—I’m sure the same will happen in flight training but I’ve figured out how to win or learn and I think that will carry me through training.

I wasn't completely serious but I do agree that buying an inexpensive set that gets the job done might be better than spending north of a grand at this early stage of learning. FWIW, I use a Clarity Aloft headset and it has been an excellent choice. It's not ANR but it seems to me to be as quiet as a few ANR sets I've compared them against. No batteries required and you can wear a full brim hat too ...

Do you wear hearing aids? I've only tried a few, but the LightSpeed line seems to have a larger ear cushion that fits a Behind The Ear hearing aid better.
Other than that, most companies will give you a period of time to try them to see if you like them. If your flight school has loaners, I'd probably wear them till I found one that fits me and is comfortable wearing for several hours at a time.
Yes, the LS DZ definitely has a larger cup than most, however, I fly with a One-X most of the time and it accommodates my hearing aids well. The BOSE A20/A30 adequately cover the aids but are more sensitive to the seal interrupting when I turn my head a little. No problem like that with the DC One-X or the LS Delta Zulu.

You can't really go wrong. If you get the cheaper DC's you'll end up using them for passengers if you upgrade.

While a set of passive David Clarks (like the H10-13.4) will serve you well for now, once you go ANR, you will NEVER go back to passive headsets. But you could probably pick up a pair of used DCs pretty cheap. Even the old H10-30s are quite usable. I have a couple of these for back seat passengers. But you will likely really appreciate the Zulu Sierras.

I have an ANR headset my wife purchased. I rarely use it. Too used to my passive David Clarks, I guess.
While a set of passive David Clarks (like the H10-13.4) will serve you well for now, once you go ANR, you will NEVER go back to passive headsets. But you could probably pick up a pair of used DCs pretty cheap. Even the old H10-30s are quite usable. I have a couple of these for back seat passengers. But you will likely really appreciate the Zulu Sierras.

I still fly with my passive DCs except in my Mooney. I just don't want to be swapping them in and out of planes.

Back