First Annual North Texas Winter Extravaganza - Cedar Mills (3T0)

What weekend would you prefer

• Jan 10th - 12th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jan 17th - 19th

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Jan 24th - 26th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jan 31st - Feb 2nd

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
For the above poll, ignore the first 4 dates listed, they are for a different year.
  • Jan 6-8
  • Jan 13-15
  • Jan 20-22
  • Jan 27-29
^^^ Those 4 are not accurate and I cannot seem to remove them from the poll choices.

It was discussed at Gaston's that we should do something in the winter but also in the south where winter doesn't suck.
Cedar Mills (3T0) came up as an ideal location.

3000 foot grass strip which is very well maintained. It is on par with Gaston's
Restaurant (and more importantly a bar) on site. Cabins along the runway and what look look like a few common areas for gathering and general shenaniganry
It is on Lake Texoma, typically considered 1 way in and 1 way out over the lake. It has a really beautiful approach and is adjacent to a Marina. Wonder if we could rent a boat. Would we want to in January? I dunno.

Here are a couple videos I found on this video sharing site called "Youtube" showing planes landing there.
Below that is a link to the cabin rental place just to give you an idea of what the offer and cost.

I am going to call tomorrow and find out how a group goes about reserving them and if there are group discounts, what the rules are, etc

The purpose of this thread is just to identify what weekend would be preferrable to most. I will work on figuring out the accommodations part this week.

Accommodations:

Tagging those that I think I recall may have expressed interest.
@masloki @JCranford @kaiser @crash7 @N4984R @Jim K

Last edited:
Tagging for updates. Our regular Florida spot got whacked by the hurricane (as it was just getting back on its feet from Ian), so we're thinking this might be the linchpin of a longer winter family trip.

Devil/Details.

What is their cancellation policy?
Well, this might make it a deal breaker. This isn't great

Cancellation Policy

In the event of cancellation, Cedar Mills will refund your deposit, less a $25 administration fee, if we receive notice 14 days prior to your scheduled arrival. If less than 14 days notice is given, your deposit will be forfeited.

He required deposit is one night stay

Well, this might make it a deal breaker. This isn't great

Cancellation Policy

In the event of cancellation, Cedar Mills will refund your deposit, less a $25 administration fee, if we receive notice 14 days prior to your scheduled arrival. If less than 14 days notice is given, your deposit will be forfeited.

He required deposit is one night stay
I think that is very reasonable. The fact that we have chosen a somewhat unreliable mode of transportation isn't his fault.

Well not every place can have the awesome Gaston’s cancellation policy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well not every place can have the awesome Gaston’s cancellation policy!!

What is Gaston's actual cancellation policy? I've heard people say that it kind of sucks but I've never really read it I just assume if I'm rained out I'm going to lose some money

What is Gaston's actual cancellation policy? I've heard people say that it kind of sucks but I've never really read it I just assume if I'm rained out I'm going to lose some money

They hold your deposit for 1 year to use on a different date if you have to cancel

I’d be in if towards the end of January. We’ll be in FL early in January but back in Dallas around the 15th. I probably wouldn’t fly in though. I treat my Comanche like an airliner, only paved surfaces at least 3,500 (ish) feet long lol. It’s a short drive up from Dallas though.

It sux. Or, about the same as what you posted above.

I wonder if we can talk them into a policy for changing dates or some such... that's not a cancelation per say.

Also, having now learned about this place, I may sneak down for a day trip in a fast airplane since I think I've visited all of the BBQ places in NC already. That will also tell me if I can land said airplane. I suppose worst case we can offer pilots "shuttle" service from GYI for those who don't want to or can't land on grass.

I wonder if we can talk them into a policy for changing dates or some such... that's not a cancelation per say.

Also, having now learned about this place, I may sneak down for a day trip in a fast airplane since I think I've visited all of the BBQ places in NC already. That will also tell me if I can land said airplane. I suppose worst case we can offer pilots "shuttle" service from GYI for those who don't want to or can't land on grass.
If needed, I can drive there then provide ground transport

Following. Depending on the weekend I’m planning to fly down

Edit. Are there enough cabins? Do they allow camping on the field?

This sounds great! Some notes about the dates though. Jan 6 is probably too close to NYE. Jan 20 is the inauguration. Jan 29 is Chinese New Year. Are you trying for the weekend or Mon/Tues/Wed? I’d probably opt for arriving on Thursday Jan 23 and leaving on Sunday Jan 26, if that’s an option.

Doesn't much matter to me...

Well, that's not true. Jan 6th is probably close enough to xmas/new years that I won't be looking to travel, and the later in the month it is, the more I'll be in "jeez I need to get the hell out of winter, let's go someplace with fire ants and scorpions for a bit of warmth" mode.

Um, @SixPapaCharlie are we looking at the same calendar for 2025???

Are you really looking at Monday-Wednesday fly-in camping? I'm looking at my kids' weekend calendars and the poll dates and things don't match up.

Um, @SixPapaCharlie are we looking at the same calendar for 2025???

Are you really looking at Monday-Wednesday fly-in camping? I'm looking at my kids' weekend calendars and the poll dates and things don't match up.

Dammit. I was looking at the wrong year. Added correct dates. Ignore the original (short form dates until I figure out how to remove them.

1. 19 total cabins available for rent.
Currently Jan is wide open as it is the slowest month of the year.

2. In order to get a common space for grilling and what not, we need to rent one of the tent camping spaces which comes with elec & water. That would be $33 / day.
The other option is to rent their lodge which is a large fully furnished banquet hall for $150 / hour or $1500 per day which seems like overkill.

3. I am to call the event coordinator tomorrow to see if there can be any wiggle room added to the cancellation policy such as a reschedule versus just losing the deposit.

4. She said they have some small grills onsite that are assigned to specific larger cabins but not generally in common areas.

I think the best bet would be to determine the weekend, people reserve cabins, rent a tent space, and have someone bring a grill and use that as a gathering space.
If it is too cold, we can always go up to the pelican's landing and hang out at the restaurant / bar and socialize there or if someone gets a large cabin, that is an additional option.
So it looks like we have some flexibility w/ respect to creating a space to eat and visit.

FYI: January is typically the coldest month in Texas, with average daily temperatures ranging from highs of 58–69°F to lows of 30°F.

If anyone is not comfortable landing at 3T0, KGYI is a 40 min drive. We can figure out ground transportation if needed.
Or one of us can fly to GYI and pick you up and fly you in. Just keep GYI as an option if 3000 ft grass is a deal breaker for you.
Also Sherman (SWI) just SE often times has the cheapest fuel in the country.

1727710497492.png

I will update the thread after I speak to the event coordinator.
Can a mod (@nauga) remove the incorrect poll choices from the thread. I am unable to do so. The first 4 date options are incorrect.

Thx!

The only one I definitely can't do is that last weekend that runs into February as I have an obligation that week/weekend in Santa Ana. Now, if we did it the weekend before that, I might be able to convince the Mrs. to fly the Lance to California (I mean, Texas is halfway there if you squint real hard) instead of American.

Realistically it'd be hard to be away from home for that long though, what with childcare. The 17th-19th would work best for us to do a trip with the kids. I need to weigh everyone and see if we can still cram us all in the airplane. I should've stolen one of those two handled plungers.

so... that's basically like 6Y9 during Labor Day

Also, Jan 20 is MLKjr day so the corporate slugs (like myself, possibly @eman1200) might have that as a HOL, if it helps.

I will interpret that to mean that @eman1200 It's definitely attending.
What is that like 2 hours and maybe $30 in fuel for a Mooney?

The only one I definitely can't do is that last weekend that runs into February as I have an obligation that week/weekend in Santa Ana. Now, if we did it the weekend before that, I might be able to convince the Mrs. to fly the Lance to California (I mean, Texas is halfway there if you squint real hard) instead of American.

Realistically it'd be hard to be away from home for that long though, what with childcare. The 17th-19th would work best for us to do a trip with the kids. I need to weigh everyone and see if we can still cram us all in the airplane. I should've stolen one of those two handled plungers.
17-19 or 16-19 sounds good too even tho I voted in the pole for the last weekend.

Can a mod (@nauga) remove the incorrect poll choices from the thread. I am unable to do so. The first 4 date options are incorrect.
I'm happy to give it a try, but I have no idea if it will preserve the votes correctly for the choices that remain. Still want me to do it?

Nauga,
and some random distribution

I'm happy to give it a try, but I have no idea if it will preserve the votes correctly for the choices that remain. Still want me to do it?

Nauga,
and some random distribution

Yeah, if you can remove those first 4. They don't make any sense.
If it kills the other votes (Latter 4) I will ask people to re cast their vote. This is in its infancy so I think we have a lot of planning to do still to get it going.

Yeah, if you can remove those first 4. They don't make any sense.
If it kills the other votes (Latter 4) I will ask people to re cast their vote. This is in its infancy so I think we have a lot of planning to do still to get it going.
Done. The count got buggered up so I cleared it.

Nauga,
the flagged poll sitta

Any chance I can change my vote to whatever weekend doesn't include in-flight icing warnings? :happydance:

Back