FAQ: DUI's and alcohol/drug abuse

Add on post to the topic at hand. I had a DWI when I was 20 years old, blew .0825. I'm now 44. No other DUI/DWI's and only 2 moving violations since then, and both which allowed for defensive driving to remove from insurance records.

I've been flying since I was 14, got my PPL when I was 19 and have had PPL since 1999. Last class 3 medical I was issued was in 2001, so after the DWI.

I went on a 20 year hiatus from flying, moved, didn't have a car, got married/kids, etc so didn't pick things back up until 2022 when I got current and started training for my IFR. I have 400 TT including complex, HP and TW endorsements. I took the written IFR test in May of 2023, got a 97, then was planning check ride. I hadn't yet addressed the medical as I didn't think it would be an issue, shame on me.

I got on Zoloft in 2020 coming out of Covid as my job involves lots of presentations and public speaking, which I do not enjoy. Being locked up and everything virtual, then going back to in person made something uncomfortable pretty much unbearable. Zoloft has helped this immensely.

However, during the Zoloft/SSRI deferral process which started 10/2022, which was a year in to the medical application process, a bad habit of drinking got worse and I checked myself into an IOP treatment to help get sober. Subsequent to this the Zoloft treating physician's notes showed that, at my own admission, I had been using alcohol to deal with work related stresses.

So earlier this month (June 2024) the FAA declined the class 3 for both use of an approved SSRI (Zoloft), needing more data from the treating physician and updated HIMS evaluations, as well as the standard alcohol HIMS process. I've already started the random screening, have been attending AA and have a sponsor. I also have been connected to some amazing other pilots that had histories of alcohol abuse, so I am grateful for that.

Given the BAC of .0825 over 24 years ago, my proactive seeking of treatment prior to FAA mandating, as well as having been issues a prior class 3, etc...any idea what next steps might look like?

Thanks in advance!

Back