FAA: You can bypass ATC academy if you're from these programs

ArrowFlyer86

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
The Little Arrow That Could
Any of our ATC folk, FAA guys, Oklahoma pilots familiar with these programs? I know controllers have been slammed for a while, so opening doors through new channels to get people into the career could be a good move. Wondering how long/rigorous the programs are?
Another hiring trick I wish they would use is doing away with whatever that requirement is that you have to be ATC by a certain age to qualify for a position (I think it's related to retirement age IIRC? Could be wrong).

Article: https://www.cnn.com/2024/10/02/business/college-grads-air-traffic-controller-jobs/index.html

Text:
1727964997341.png

CTI programs have been around for probably 20 yrs. Yes they skip the academy but depending on the facility, they may be sent to OK City for a course. Such as my brother, he had ATC experience from the Air Force but his facility sent him to the academy for the TRACON course. Basically an abbreviated academy for him.

It is a 30 yr old restriction. In the past military retired had waiver on that but not sure if still in effect. My brother got a waiver coming from AFSS.

Last edited:
Back