Exiting and Re-entering ADIZ Procedure

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Trying to figure out in advance the correct procedure/requirement to exit then re-enter the US ADIZ without landing outside of the US.

Purpose of the flight is offshore aerial photography. Entire flight over international water/not landing outside of the US.

As far as I can tell, I would need to be on an IFR or DVFR flight plan. Is there anyone else such as CBP/TSA that I would need to coordinate with in advance?

I've exited/re-entered the ADIZ about 15 years ago flying in Hawaii and only needed an IFR flight plan, but want to make sure I'm not missing something here on the east coast. Flight would originate and return to the Norfolk/VA Beach area and operate up to 100nm offshore.

There seems to be a distinct lack of info on this. Interested to hear what you find.

There are some airports in Alaska (not islands) that actually lie outside the ADIZ as charted.

Example PAPO - how does one operate there? What would the procedure be?

You have to have a DVFR/IFR plan for both transitions and the reentry needs to be reported to ATC (they have a reporting obligation to NORAD).

Example PAPO - how does one operate there? What would the procedure be?
Remembering this was nearly 20 years ago it was a no big deal going in and out of Point Hope. True airspeed determined if a DVFR was needed or not. For example the C-207 did not require a DVFR but the Piper Navajo did. I think 180 TAS was the determining A/S.

There was a FSS on the field, Kotzebue, and I would file over the radio while taxiing out for departure. FSS would confirm the flight plan and issue a discreet transponder code, sometimes reminding me that VFR is not recommended due to current weather, and away we go. No need to talk to anyone. There were several flights across the ADIZ daily, so it was just a normal day at work. Things may have changed by now, but it probably isn't much different.

I don't understand the question. If you're exiting the ADIZ then you must have already been on a DVFR or IFR flight plan to enter the ADIZ to start with, right?

I think I understand now. AIM says: "Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ) means an area of airspace over land or water, in which the ready identification, location, and control of all aircraft (except Department of Defense and law enforcement aircraft) is required in the interest of national security." The US isn't inside the ADIZ. The ADIZ is a buffer zone that surrounds the US and Canada. You normally have to fly offshore to even enter the ADIZ (unless you're at PAPO apparently). Looking at the magenta lines on the chart, the ADIZ at PAPO extends from that Point Hope peninsula to 169W longitude.

Anybody between 169W and PAPO is in the ADIZ. It doesn't really matter if you came from the west (Asia) or east (Alaska) or if you're going to eventually leave the ADIZ to the west or east. You need to be DVFR/IFR to operate in the ADIZ at all.

Already got the majority of that, but what exactly does this mean?
The pilot in command of an aircraft for which a flight plan has been filed must file an arrival or completion notice with an appropriate aeronautical facility.

What is the arrival and completion notice and what is the 'appropriate aeronautical facility?

I did a flight from Key West to the mainland and the direct route would have crossed the ADIZ, I asked ATC about it and they said I would need a transponder code with Miami ATC to cross it, so I just followed around it and kept inside which was just a few minutes out of the way anyway. I imagine if my altitude was high enough that I could have arranged it, but from what it sounds like is you’ll need a DVFR flight plan and transponder code from ATC or IFR but then you’ll have to follow ATCs routing on the later.

Norfolk Approach should hand you off to Giant Killer. If you’re not going to penetrate too far into the warning areas, they’d probably take a point out and Washington Center will work ya.

What is the arrival and completion notice and what is the 'appropriate aeronautical facility?
In the GOMEX, everything was handled by the Houston ATC. Perhaps the same for the area you plan to operate in.

Already got the majority of that, but what exactly does this mean?

If you are departing from US and returning to US after entering an ADIZ, you close out your flight plan with FSS. A "completion notice" is synonymous with "closing the flight plan". Any VFR flight plan that enters or crosses an ADIZ is considered as a DVFR flight plan and you have to obtain a discrete transponder code and comply with the instructions in part 99. If you have not already been assigned a transponder code, you can get it by contacting FSS or ATC prior to entering the ADIZ.

I did a flight from Key West to the mainland and the direct route would have crossed the ADIZ, I asked ATC about it and they said I would need a transponder code with Miami ATC to cross it, so I just followed around it and kept inside which was just a few minutes out of the way anyway. I imagine if my altitude was high enough that I could have arranged it, but from what it sounds like is you’ll need a DVFR flight plan and transponder code from ATC or IFR but then you’ll have to follow ATCs routing on the later.
If you had filed a VFR or DVFR flight plan, you would have been assigned a transponder code by FSS. This is a default transponder code unless ATC issues you a different one.

If you had filed a VFR or DVFR flight plan, you would have been assigned a transponder code by FSS. This is a default transponder code unless ATC issues you a different one.
Why do we have an ADIZ , we don’t have a Sea Defense Identification Zone.

Years ago, we flew from central Arizona to the Rocky Point, Mexico area to overfly the Sea of Cortez for possible whale watching (we made no landings south of the border).
The only things out of the ordinary were ATC's requests to notify them just prior to crossing the border going down, and again on the return trip. Immediately after notifying them of our entry back into the U. S. they instructed us to fly direct to Tucson Int'l and land, where Customs did quite a thorough job of inspecting us and the airplane. I'm sure it's much worse now (or should be).

Years ago, we flew from central Arizona to the Rocky Point, Mexico area to overfly the Sea of Cortez for possible whale watching (we made no landings south of the border).
The only things out of the ordinary were ATC's requests to notify them just prior to crossing the border going down, and again on the return trip. Immediately after notifying them of our entry back into the U. S. they instructed us to fly direct to Tucson Int'l and land, where Customs did quite a thorough job of inspecting us and the airplane. I'm sure it's much worse now (or should be).
Why? Every day there are thousands of fishing boats that go WAY out and come back sometimes days later and never go thru customs and are not required to!

Why do we have an ADIZ , we don’t have a Sea Defense Identification Zone.
The ADIZ is part of the ICAO agreement via the 1944 Chicago convention. It allows countries to establish aircraft ID zones outside of their territorial airspace. But not all ICAO member countries use it. However each country writes their own ADIZ rules.

Why? Every day there are thousands of fishing boats that go WAY out and come back sometimes days later and never go thru customs and are not required to!
The marine side if I'm not mistaken has similar rules which I believe predate the ICAO rules and are managed by the Coast Guard. At least in the GOMEX they are. I believe those rules center around which port the vessel is based out of. Regardless, different rules for different uses.

The ADIZ is part of the ICAO agreement via the 1944 Chicago convention. It allows countries to establish aircraft ID zones outside of their territorial airspace. But not all ICAO member countries use it. However each country writes their own ADIZ rules.

The marine side if I'm not mistaken has similar rules which I believe predate the ICAO rules and are managed by the Coast Guard. At least in the GOMEX they are. I believe those rules center around which port the vessel is based out of. Regardless, different rules for different uses.
Yes and gen av always gets screwed

Back