Early Birds and TFRs

Rich Holt

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Craver
It looks like the RNC is going to have Milwaulke under a TFR from July 15-18. This could leave you early birds coming from the East in a bind. Just something to think about.

Pilots from the S/SE gonna need to learn the KELSI intersection. Eastern pilots gonna have to grow some balls and go over the lake.

Pilots from the S/SE gonna need to learn the KELSI intersection. Eastern pilots gonna have to grow some balls and go over the lake.
You spelled “choose not to mitigate risk” wrong. :)

Last edited:
I think this particular TFR will be a non-issue (its physical location in relation to the most used routes and the fact there's not a significant amount of pre-July 18th air traffic for a number of reasons). That said, the point is well taken that pilots should be diligent in their X/C planning especially in an election year where TFRs can pop-up seemingly without warning. And for those arriving after 1200 pm CDT on the 18th, please read and heed the AirVenture NOTAM.

Last edited:
Not going over the lake,did it for years . Never got comfortable lately. I know the airplane doesn’t know it’s over the lake but I do.

Do people really arrive 4 days early?
Yes, but most of that is by ground. There are some who fly in early, but the parking lines, IIRC, don't get laid out until Tues or Wed plus there's no services open whatsoever on the field. Heck, I'm not sure if all the porta potties are in place yet. The AirVenture NOTAM goes into effect at Noon on the 18th (the Thursday before the show), arrivals really pick up on Friday (which has been our target arrival date the past 3 years) and ramp up through the weekend.

Last edited:
I usually fly up the Tuesday before the show. The last time we had a presidential nominating convention here in CLT they closed us down out to the end of the mode C veil (just covers up my airport). A similar sized one at MKE wouldn't be that bad. I usually turn direct OSH over UGN, so I'd have to swing a bit further west.

Back