EAA -- New Attitude??

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
Before I start, let me say that I'm one of the loyal opposition. I've never considered honest criticism of my position or organization to be without merit ... indeed it is the only way positive change can be expressed in a free society. Take what I say and do with it what you will.

EAA has been loudly reported (mostly in the EAA house organs) to have a "New Attitude". Perhaps in some venues that is true. However, I would like to point out one of the ways that it is the same old, same old, all over.

I refer to the Board of Directors. For those of you who may not delve deeply into the political bowels of the organization, the Board of Directors is the titular governing board of the organization. I say titular because I've been aware of instances where a Director differed and differed strongly and differed with reason to a direction that the leadership of the Board was taking the group. Those Directors mysteriously couldn't find enough votes in the next election to keep their chairs. And why?

Same old, same old. There were 174 members that took the time and trouble to be at the General Meeting on Wednesday of Oshkosh Week and vote. There were 25,865 proxy votes that the LEADERSHIP (not the Board) voted. Gee, who do you suppose controlled the outcome of THAT election?

OK, here is the official result:

Seven Class 1 director positions were open for election, and a total of 20 EAA members had been nominated. Elected to the board by the members were:

• Stuart Auerbach, EAA 689374 (incumbent)
  • James "CB" Clark, EAA 500238
  • Eileen Drake, EAA Lifetime 852455 (incumbent)
  • Alan Klapmeier, EAA Lifetime 141042
  • Phil Martineau, EAA 593215 (incumbent)
  • Jim Phillips, EAA 149430 (incumbent)
  • Cody Welch, EAA 115674
  • Charlie Precourt, EAA Lifetime 150237, was an incumbent Class 1 director who remains on the board as a Class 3 director elected by board members.
Now far be it for me to say that these 7 ladies and gentlemen did not deserve to win. They all have very good aviation and/or leadership pedigrees. But I guarantee you that the 174 of us that showed up had absolutely no hand in selecting these folks. Nope, those 26K proxy votes are, and have been for the last 40 years, the determining factor of who is voted onto and off of the Board.

That just ain't right. 20 people had the enthusiasm to run. Split the proxies equally amongst them, and those who had the gumption to go out and campaign, or those whose reputation got them some non-proxy votes should be in those chairs next year.

But they won't be, and they will never be, until the proxy system invented by Pope Paul and passed down along the line is dealt with as an anachronism from a long-since past time. Use the proxies for what they were supposedly intended -- to establish a quorum, not to perpetuate the bias of those in power.

Am I bitter? Nope. I ran for the Board three times. I was the FIRST person to get votes by internet campaigning. And I knew the odds were against me from the get-go. But in this country the wonderful thing about tossing your hat in the ring is that if you win, you get the chair. If you lose, you get kvetching rights. And just consider this one more kvetch to try and level the playing field.

From the loyal opposition.

Jim

Keep trying with the Internet we can wear them down

The Members 4 Members group collected several hundred proxies last year and disturbed the peace enough that it probably had something to do with the departure of Hightower. In individual discussions with several board members, it turned out that there was support by some board members for a more representative voting process.

The only bad thing that came from Hightower's departure was that the budding uprising on how the board is selected pretty much died. As long as people get (more or less) what they want out of the organization, they won't storm the gates. That's kind of where we are today - Pelton has done a good job calming the waters.

But your point is correct - the process is a self-fulfilling prophecy - those in power stay in power because they choose the people who elect them. Get the wrong person (or people) in place for long enough to build a consensus of toadies, and those people could really take EAA on a bad ride...

Dammit that is it. I have had enough of the EAA. I'm not joining and I mean it.:lol:

Before I start, let me say that I'm one of the loyal opposition. I've never considered honest criticism of my position or organization to be without merit ... indeed it is the only way positive change can be expressed in a free society. Take what I say and do with it what you will.

EAA has been loudly reported (mostly in the EAA house organs) to have a "New Attitude". Perhaps in some venues that is true. However, I would like to point out one of the ways that it is the same old, same old, all over.

I refer to the Board of Directors. For those of you who may not delve deeply into the political bowels of the organization, the Board of Directors is the titular governing board of the organization. I say titular because I've been aware of instances where a Director differed and differed strongly and differed with reason to a direction that the leadership of the Board was taking the group. Those Directors mysteriously couldn't find enough votes in the next election to keep their chairs. And why?

Same old, same old. There were 174 members that took the time and trouble to be at the General Meeting on Wednesday of Oshkosh Week and vote. There were 25,865 proxy votes that the LEADERSHIP (not the Board) voted. Gee, who do you suppose controlled the outcome of THAT election?

OK, here is the official result:

Seven Class 1 director positions were open for election, and a total of 20 EAA members had been nominated. Elected to the board by the members were:

• Stuart Auerbach, EAA 689374 (incumbent)
  • James "CB" Clark, EAA 500238
  • Eileen Drake, EAA Lifetime 852455 (incumbent)
  • Alan Klapmeier, EAA Lifetime 141042
  • Phil Martineau, EAA 593215 (incumbent)
  • Jim Phillips, EAA 149430 (incumbent)
  • Cody Welch, EAA 115674
  • Charlie Precourt, EAA Lifetime 150237, was an incumbent Class 1 director who remains on the board as a Class 3 director elected by board members.
Now far be it for me to say that these 7 ladies and gentlemen did not deserve to win. They all have very good aviation and/or leadership pedigrees. But I guarantee you that the 174 of us that showed up had absolutely no hand in selecting these folks. Nope, those 26K proxy votes are, and have been for the last 40 years, the determining factor of who is voted onto and off of the Board.

That just ain't right. 20 people had the enthusiasm to run. Split the proxies equally amongst them, and those who had the gumption to go out and campaign, or those whose reputation got them some non-proxy votes should be in those chairs next year.

But they won't be, and they will never be, until the proxy system invented by Pope Paul and passed down along the line is dealt with as an anachronism from a long-since past time. Use the proxies for what they were supposedly intended -- to establish a quorum, not to perpetuate the bias of those in power.

Am I bitter? Nope. I ran for the Board three times. I was the FIRST person to get votes by internet campaigning. And I knew the odds were against me from the get-go. But in this country the wonderful thing about tossing your hat in the ring is that if you win, you get the chair. If you lose, you get kvetching rights. And just consider this one more kvetch to try and level the playing field.

From the loyal opposition.

Jim

Jim,

Unfortunately that's politics. That is why I am not involved with my international fraternity anymore and I WAS on the board. Couldn't stand the politics.

Unfortunately that's politics.

No. Politics is getting enough people to believe you are on the right path (rightly or wrongly) to follow you. I was on the County Board for eight years as the lone Democrat amongst 4 Republicans and got some good stuff done because I didn't parrot the party line ... we got consensus between three of us to do good and the other two could pound sand ... the old saying is that if you can't count a majority on your side, just shut up and deal with it.

Politics isn't bad ... as a matter of fact it is a lot of fun if you learn how to deal with it. Stupid and mean people IN politics is something else.

The 23rd Psalm revisited: "Lo though I walk through the valley of the shadow of politics, I fear no evil, for I am the meanest son of a b!#@h in the valley."

Then again, the etymology of "politics" is a two-part Greek word. The first part is "poly", which is the Greek word for "many". And "ticks" are just bloodsucking scavengers.

(Could'ja learn to SNIP lots of quote for a one line answer? It makes the flow a whole bunch easier to follow. Thanks.)

Jim

Last edited:
The Members 4 Members group collected several hundred proxies last year and disturbed the peace enough

Yeah, I did that about fifteen years ago. As I recall, I came up with a few hundred signatures. The vote was a few hundred to several tens of thousands. The beast is going to have to be devoured from within, not from without.

Get the wrong person (or people) in place for long enough to build a consensus of toadies, and those people could really take EAA on a bad ride...

Could? COULD? Where you been for the last 15 years, bucko, when the WWII warbirds RAN the show? The monster truck contest? The re-enactment of Pearl Harbor on Japanese Visitor Day? EAA damn near went down the tubes in a short time.

I agree. Pelton is a breath of fresh air, but a breath of fresh air in the outhouse is still a stench.

What's the current proxy system? I don't ever recall signing my proxy over to anyone, and IME that's generally a requirement. Has EAA somehow worked it so that unassigned proxies go to the board? :dunno:

What's the current proxy system? I don't ever recall signing my proxy over to anyone, and IME that's generally a requirement. Has EAA somehow worked it so that unassigned proxies go to the board? :dunno:

Forgive me for not having current information. My EAA number is 86698 which places my membership sometime around 1975.

Back in those days you signed your name on the membership blank but down below in little tiny letters it was an opt-out clause. That is, unless you checked the box that said I don't WANT go give you my proxy, you did.

When I went to unravel that little peccadillo twenty years ago, it took me almost a month and several back-and-forth letters to convince EAA that yes, I did IN FACT want to revoke the proxy. They didn't make it easy to get out once you opted in.

That may have all changed today for the better or for the worse. Why don't you investigate and bring us back the current procedure?

Jim

Last edited:
Back