EAA life membership value?

SnF may be very much smaller, but the crowd there is amazingly diverse.

I had a long conversation with a pair of Icelanders, and learned a new instrument approach term. MDA is "Bump". At Reykjavik, he was at about 20 hours, and signed off for solo out of the immediate area. He flew about 20 minutes, noticed high clouds had covered he sky, abd theair was cooling. He headed back in, as the dew point spread was small. Before he arrived, fog covered the airport, and he was given radar vector to the runway, with altitude guidance. He descended until BUMP, HE HAD ARRVIVED. 30 hours later, he achieved PPL.

A little further away, a Brazilian PP, who few commercial to Fla, and rented a Cessna to fly in.

Others near me were from Minnesota, Wisconsin *Yes, they also went to OSH, Texas, they had a Cherokee 6, and complete BBQ rig, and put together a group of volunteers to go for food supplies and charcoal, and we had an amazing meal.

There wee several such group grilling events, and mostly put together with whoever was nearby.

It may be viewed by the OSH crowd as distinctly second best, but third best is nowhere near as big or good.

Back then, they were still affiliated with EAA.
I volunteer at both and I’m not aware of anyone that thinks SnF is a second class event. However it is different and smaller by a significant margin. And it used to be EAA sponsored but that was over years ago.

Back