Dual G5's vs Aspen Evolution E5 vs Dual GI 275

Eh, six of one/half-dozen of the other for me, but here’s my thought process.

1. If I was the OP and wanted to get rid of the current aspen, then I’d likely do 3x GI-275s and a GFC500. That gives me primary AI, HSI, and EIS that plays well with the existing GTN. If OP has the existing Moritz guages AND no engine monitor, that’s a lot of bang for the buck.

2. If I’m keeping the current Aspen, the G5 AI gives me everything I need while saving a few hundo and maybe limiting downtime in the shop, assuming budget is a factor.

3. If budget isn’t a factor, I’m heading for a complete redo with dual screen PFD/MFD, electronic AI, and no vac system.
Ahhh...I see...a G5, if keeping the Aspen, allows removal of the vac system.

In addition to the reliability of no vacuum system, the biggest upside I see here is getting rid of the vacuum driven DG precession. I’m always second guessing it.

Why no love for a 7" G3X?

Later can go to 10" and keep 7" as MFD, EIS or right side PFD/MFD

I believe the G3X would still need a G5 or GI275 as a back up.

BTW - my plan is to add the dual GI 275's now, and in 3-5 years maybe add a G3X (or whatever they come out with at that time - G3Xi? ) and then have my GI 275's ready to serve as the required back up. As I only need one GI275 as back up, maybe keep the GI275 HSI because it's there already or sell it. Ask me in a few years.

Why no love for a 7" G3X?

Later can go to 10" and keep 7" as MFD, EIS or right side PFD/MFD
The downside, for me, was that I would need a new panel cut whereas the GI275 or G5 was a drop in upgrade. If this was an aircraft I anticipate flying for 5+ more years I would have gone G500.

The downside, for me, was that I would need a new panel cut whereas the GI275 or G5 was a drop in upgrade. If this was an aircraft I anticipate flying for 5+ more years I would have gone G500.
And that - a new laser cut power coated panel front, along with the cost of the G3X and installation was beyond what I determined I wanted to spend at this time. I'm already leaning in a lot to put in dual GI 275's, a GTN 650xi, and a GFC 500.

Curious - what does the G500 do for you that the G3X wouldn't?

G500Txi Newer technology, more interfaces, better screen resolution, faster processor. My avionics tech said the G3X vs G500Txi analogy would be G5 vs GI275- both solid devices but more capabilities on the newer technology equipment.

Back