Done . . .

We've been looking at participating in one of those clinical trials but they all require recurrent follow up at the trial site, which for us is a six hour round trip and difficult parking at the site.

Ask your wife and kids whether you’re worth the trouble. I suspect they’ll say “yes.”

Fwiw, that is exactly what organizations like Angel Flight and PALS are built for. I can tell you from experience that the flights are way more fun when the passenger is interested in aviation, and I would jump at the chance to fly a fellow pilot to treatment.
Thanks. I have considered that but if I were going to do that I'd just try to use my own plane with a copilot before I sell it, but it's the ground transportation as part of that trip that actually is more challenging. Do you know if an airport like KBOS waives all fees for Angel flights? It's still considerably more expensive and time consuming when I can get the radiation treatments at our local hospital for about 20 minutes of the day and live in my own home for the entire treatment period.
Ask your wife and kids whether you’re worth the trouble. I suspect they’ll say “yes.”
I already have. They agree it's just not worth it for the clinical trial, especially considering that I'm not eligable for most of them due to a recent biopsy of malignant melanoma. I've been a regular tumor farm with prostate, three separate melanomas, and now glioblastoma over the past 15 years, and most of the trials require at least a two year tumor free period. (That's for integrity of the trial data.)

Thanks. I have considered that but if I were going to do that I'd just try to use my own plane with a copilot before I sell it, but it's the ground transportation as part of that trip that actually is more challenging. Do you know if an airport like KBOS waives all fees for Angel flights? It's still considerably more expensive and time consuming when I can get the radiation treatments at our local hospital for about 20 minutes of the day and live in my own home for the entire treatment period.
I don't know for sure about BOS, but I've yet to hear of an FBO charging for an angel flight. Airport landing fees might still apply. We usually fly into reliever airports, although we do use MEM sometimes for St. Jude. I think @NealRomeoGolf went into BOS or somewhere nearby a last year. St. Jude, CTCA, and Mayo all have shuttle service to the airport. Angel Flight East or PALS would have those answers.

I'm not trying to talk you into anything, just thinking about options. I can't imagine facing the diagnosis you've been given, and i totally understand the desire to stay at home.

Very sorry to hear of this diagnosis. As a 78 year old pilot myself, I am always waiting for the "shoe to drop". Not a frequent poster myself, I have always appreciated your insightful views and "Flying the Motorcycle to Alaska".

…I already have. They agree it's just not worth it for the clinical trial…
Have had a malignancy and lots of benign biopsies and another benign tumor, so as much as one can understand the thought processes, this is why songs like “Live Like You Were Dying” were written.

F*ck cancer and I hope you live like you were dying; don’t let the disease define who you are.

Have had a malignancy and lots of benign biopsies and another benign tumor, so as much as one can understand the thought processes, this is why songs like “Live Like You Were Dying” were written.

F*ck cancer and I hope you live like you were dying; don’t let the disease define who you are.
:yeahthat:

But I think I’d skip 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fumanchu....

I don't know for sure about BOS, but I've yet to hear of an FBO charging for an angel flight. Airport landing fees might still apply. We usually fly into reliever airports, although we do use MEM sometimes for St. Jude. I think @NealRomeoGolf went into BOS or somewhere nearby a last year. St. Jude, CTCA, and Mayo all have shuttle service to the airport. Angel Flight East or PALS would have those answers.

I'm not trying to talk you into anything, just thinking about options. I can't imagine facing the diagnosis you've been given, and i totally understand the desire to stay at home.
I went into KBED (Bedford) and they waived nothing. Some places are just jerks. Signature at Mayo has been the best.

Sorry to hear of the diagnosis. It's the same that took my grandfather at age 81. I wish you and family peace and enjoyment for the time you have with them.

We've been looking at participating in one of those clinical trials but they all require recurrent follow up at the trial site, which for us is a six hour round trip and difficult parking at the site.

I highly recommend looking into PALS. Great organization from top to bottom. BOS does waive fees for compassion flights last I knew, but most of the time we fly in and out of BED or OWD. PALS also arranges your ground transportation and hotels if needed.

Thats odd I've never been charged anything flying PALS flights out of there, and Jet aviation is always super accommodating.
I used Ross Aviation which I think is now Atlantic? This was 2 years ago. I guess if there is a next time it will be Jet Aviation.

Flew into Flagstaff (only FBO on the field), and the grumpy desk lady wouldn’t let me use the crew car to drive the Angel Flight passenger to her destination…

Back