Disqualifying TSA question(s)

unknown1981

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Happy Pants
A friend has a PWID felony conviction from 2021. Will this be triggered or flagged on the student pilot application when they file in the IACRA? The FAA says it has to be 1 year from conviction but does the IACRA cross-check this for anything other than terrorist activity (or anything else in TSA)? Can a student aiming to take pilots lessons be issued a final student pilot certificate with this on the record 3 years after conviction (they already served their time)? If the answer is yes will there be more hurdles later on? If the answer is no what is the appeals process?

The FAA doesn't give a flying fig if you "did your time or not."

I have no clue why you think IACRA has anything to do with this. It's just a form filling out program.

The big issue is if they think you are a drug user (likely), then it is going to be a protracted process to get a medical.
If they think your criminal history is the result of mental health issues, it's even worse.

The FAA doesn't give a flying fig if you "did your time or not."

I have no clue why you think IACRA has anything to do with this. It's just a form filling out program.

The big issue is if they think you are a drug user (likely), then it is going to be a protracted process to get a medical.
If they think your criminal history is the result of mental health issues, it's even worse.
It was not for drug use. It’s a PWID. There are no mental health issues. Asking because there is a FRN that states that before FAA approves the student pilot application on the IACRA it goes thru TSA and is a PWID going to show up on the clearance?

It was not for drug use. It’s a PWID. There are no mental health issues. Asking because there is a FRN that states that before FAA approves the student pilot application on the IACRA it goes thru TSA and is a PWID going to show up on the clearance?
Oklahoma City is going to assume that PWID implies you were taking the drugs, too. You can argue that you were an absolutely clean sociopath, but that isn't going to get you very far. You're not walking out of an AME office with a third class.

Oklahoma City is going to assume that PWID implies you were taking the drugs, too. You can argue that you were an absolutely clean sociopath, but that isn't going to get you very far. You're not walking out of an AME office with a third class.
But there are medical records showing the person has never used drugs due to testing. The problem is not using — it’s PWID. Completely unrelated to taking drugs. The person is not a user, they don’t have a use issue as the charge is a PWID.

You try arguing that with Joklahoma city.

People Who Identify as Dogs. It's a "Woke" thing. Classrooms now have litter pans for students that identify as cats, and PWID have to go out to the playground.
Thanks for making fun of the situation when I’m here trying to get advice…

Persons Who Inject Drugs. Maybe insulin and other prescription drugs are included? But I'm guessing that's not grounds for a felony conviction.

No it’s a felony but not a federal crime (state or county). Stands for Possession With Intent to Distribute (usually related to a substance, in this persons situation it was a non-narcotic).

You try arguing that with Joklahoma city.
The FAA and TSA regs explicitly state users won’t pass a 3rd class. This person is not a user nor has a record of any drug use. It’s a PWID. Organized crime, distribution of non-narcotics, etc. But my question is if this will show up on the TSA cross-check when you apply on the IACRA site and if that is reason for the student pilot certificate being denied if it’s not explicitly stated on FAAs site that it would trigger a denial.

Just so I am clear I’m looking thru the FRN (federal register notice) about student pilot applications. I posted the heading here and am wondering if anyone else came across this situation.

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Federal Aviation Administration
14 CFR Parts 61 and 183
[Docket No.: FAA–2010–1127; Amdt. Nos. 61–135 and 183–15]
RIN 2120–AJ42
Student Pilot Application Requirements
AGENCY: Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), DOT. ACTION: Final rule.
SUMMARY: This action requires applicants to apply for a student pilot certificate through a Flight Standards District Office, designated pilot examiner, airman certification representative associated with a pilot school, or certified flight instructor. Aviation Medical Examiners will no longer issue a combination medical certificate and student pilot certificate. Student pilot certificates will be issued on the same medium as other pilot certificates and will have no expiration date. All student pilot certificates issued before the effective date of this final rule will expire according to their terms unless they are replaced by another pilot certificate. This final rule responds to section 4012 of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act and facilitates security vetting by the Transportation Security Administration of student pilot applicants prior to certificate issuance.

I understand what you are saying, but you are getting bent around the student pilot certificate issuance which is irrelevant. You can't use the student pilot certificate without a third class medical issuance. You are required to REPORT this conviction on you application (omitting it is also a felony). Again, you can argue that you were a stone-cold-sober entrepreneur, but the FAA won't see it that way. First, they WILL assume you were using drugs no matter what you weasel about it. Second, you push how being a drug dealer is hunky dory and they'll assume you've got sociopathic tendencies that are also disqualifying.

I understand what you are saying, but you are getting bent around the student pilot certificate issuance which is irrelevant. You can't use the student pilot certificate without a third class medical issuance. You are required to REPORT this conviction on you application (omitting it is also a felony). Again, you can argue that you were a stone-cold-sober entrepreneur, but the FAA won't see it that way. First, they WILL assume you were using drugs no matter what you weasel about it. Second, you push how being a drug dealer is hunky dory and they'll assume you've got sociopathic tendencies that are also disqualifying.
The IACRA application doesn’t require reporting what you were convicted of, just whether you have a conviction related to substances (section O on the 8710 actually). My main QUESTION is if the IACRA will cross check with TSA and if that conviction — a PWID — is a qualifying denial the student pilot certificate. The person will pass the medical easily, but how is the conviction going to impact the issuance of the SPC?

Again, IACRA is not the problem. It's MEDEXPRESS that you are required to disclose your criminal history on. It is going to be disqualifying.

All IACRA cares about is whether you're a terrorist (or committed certain very heinous or transportation related crimes).

Back