Custom Checklist

They do suck, but pilots don’t use them because they aren’t properly trained to how use them in single pilot operations starting day one of training.
I can't disagree with that.

Years ago I was doing a 172 → 182 transition. Like many, when he got his primary training in the 172, his pre-landing check was simple - the fuel is still on both, the mixture was set appropriately and the carb heat was hot. Flaps had been done incrementally in the pattern, so that wasn't an issue. No need for a written checklist for something that simple, right?

The addition of the prop in the 182 was no big deal but the trainee invariably forgot the cowl flaps. Every. Single. Time. After several reminders, I gave up and Instead of reminding him, I started just saying, "something is missing." He would look all around the cockpit trying to figure it out. Everywhere, that is, except the checklist sitting on the glareshield in his line of sight. His primary training taught him to ignore the checklist and it was out of mind even when it was in sight.

Back