Crowdstrike

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
whooopsie.......

crowdstrike.gif

absolutely INSANE this issue can basically take out the entire world. banks, airports, railways, hospitals, etc...... really scary stuff. anyone else impacted and get paged at 3am?

The craziest thing is, stuff like this happens and people still think everything should be tied to the internet and computerized even though it's practically impossible to have a working back-up plan for if it all goes down.

Using windows for anything mission critical? Not me.
The problem isn't Windows. It's a bit of software that was unintentionally malicious (which generally means that guidelines were not followed.)

The problem isn't Windows. It's a bit of software that was unintentionally malicious (which generally means that guidelines were not followed.)
And that bit of software runs on windows.

That’s like saying a plane is broken because the Garmin gtn650 in it has a software bug.
No, it's like saying planes that don't have a gtn650 aren't affected by the software bug in the gtn650.

No, it's like saying planes that don't have a gtn650 aren't affected by the software bug in the gtn650.

Well when you’re right you’re right salty. Hard to argue that logic. Spot on 10/10.

The craziest thing is, stuff like this happens and people still think everything should be tied to the internet and computerized even though it's practically impossible to have a working back-up plan for if it all goes down.
The advent of the Internet and having "everything tied to it" has been a primary driver in global economic growth for about 30 years now. You'd be living in a very different world without it, so be careful what you wish for.

There are plenty of easy ways to protect against this particular issue. One is, "Don't update all of your critical infrastructure simultaneously." However, that's a double-edged sword. For feature releases, maybe that's not a huge deal...worst-case, you have some computers running an older version for a few days or weeks and there's potential confusion in situations where people move between devices.

The problem occurs when you are trying to maintain "best practices" and install security-related updates promptly, to control exposure to identified vulnerabilities. You don't want to leave backdoors in your system open any longer than you have to. The whole reason businesses pay companies like Crowdstrike is to protect them from vulnerabilities.

If a bank security guard starts shooting at the cashiers, was the bank fundamentally mistaken when it made the decision to hire security guards?

… anyone else impacted and get paged at 3am?
Been sitting at a DFW airport hotel since early last night due to this. We are rebooked for an attempt later this morning that’s already had two “delays” communicated to us.

The good news is the mandatory BCP exercise that was going to cut my boating short this weekend is now postponed. Yay for Crowdstrike!

My pager didn't go off because my pager company had crowdstrike installed and not patched.

Just kidding, I haven't been on call for over a decade.

lol funny, I thought you said “our” boating time
This weekend I'll have a bunch of college kids out with me. I know your position on boating with such a crowd. Looks like your only going to get as close as another low pass :)

The problem isn’t the screen door, the problem is thinking the screen door provides infrastructure supporting security

Pretty much every other gate monitor I’ve seen today.
7fb3ae70bfb0f07b857f59a13933219b.jpg

SMS/Text alerts are doing a good job communicating real time gate info. Gate agents are having to manually resolve some double booked re-bookings; AA is offering some travel credit for those who will pro-actively rebook.

DFW itself is reporting delays, but it’s clear and a million, so weather ain’t the cause if you were wondering.

Pretty much every other gate monitor I’ve seen today.
7fb3ae70bfb0f07b857f59a13933219b.jpg

SMS/Text alerts are doing a good job communicating real time gate info. Gate agents are having to manually resolve some double booked re-bookings; AA is offering some travel credit for those who will pro-actively rebook.

DFW itself is reporting delays, but it’s clear and a million, so weather ain’t the cause if you were wondering.

But are the airport bars open?

But are the airport bars open?

Interestingly enough, some but not all. Several were closed/closing around 7p last night when we were just starting to deal with our particular delay. Seems AA has been having problems since at least 5p last night.

Back