Created application on FAA MedXpress but never went to AME appointment. Can I still get SPL with DL?

A

Anon

Hello!

I created an application at https://medxpress.faa.gov/. I had filled out a form stating a form stating that I had been diagnosed with anxiety. However, I never went to an AME, nor did I give anyone the "code". And I let the application expire. This was years ago.

I spoke to an AME online, and they said I was good to go since technically I never applied for a medical since I never went to an AME, and for the application to have happened, I would have had to go to an AME and let them file the application. And since I was never deferred or denied, I'm eligible to use my driver's license for an SPL. From what I understood, I technically never "applied" for one.

I also do not believe I have a medical condition that would cause a hazard while operating an aircraft.

Is this true? I would like to double-check here before spending money.

Thanks!

Thank you all.

The reason I decided to go with an SPL is because if I ever need to go to therapy in the future for anxiety or have some other health issue (like if I get into a car crash and need to go to the hospital), I wouldn't have to deal with losing my investment. Of course, if I have a medical issue that hinders my ability to fly safely, I won't fly at all.

I also heard they are loosing restrictions on the SPL in the near future with mosaic, such as allowing people with SPL's to fly GA aircraft.

You will not lose your medical if you get into a car accident and go to the hospital. Unless you have such major damage that you should not be flying even SP.

Thank you all.

The reason I decided to go with an SPL is because if I ever need to go to therapy in the future for anxiety or have some other health issue (like if I get into a car crash and need to go to the hospital), I wouldn't have to deal with losing my investment. Of course, if I have a medical issue that hinders my ability to fly safely, I won't fly at all.

I also heard they are loosing restrictions on the SPL in the near future with mosaic, such as allowing people with SPL's to fly GA aircraft.
If you qualify for a medical now and get one, then you can still do sport pilot, and you could also do basic med.

I’m too lazy to go back and link the thread, but new guidelines state you can be issued in office for anxiety if you’ve been off meds for 2 years with no recurrence.

People with SP can already fly some "GA aircraft", as long as the aircraft meets the LSA limits. What MOSAIC does is increase those limits to include larger/faster aircraft.

I’m too lazy to go back and link the thread, but new guidelines state you can be issued in office for anxiety if you’ve been off meds for 2 years with no recurrence.
Sorry for the late reply.

I've been off meds for 3 years now (Zoloft), and I do not plan to go back on them ever; however, I do plan to go back to therapy since I just had a life event (breakup) that I need personal guidance with, and I would like to go in the future for anxiety or personal guidance.

I do not think the FAA would appreciate me going to therapy, even though my anxiety is not a safety hazard in anyway, and I've never been suicidal. I think it's unreasonable for the FAA to expect me to be "happy" 24/7 and not be sad after a breakup, since these are normal human emotions. I don't want to fly 200 people around, I just want to fly myself around as a hobby lol.

Special-issued medical (I think that's what it's called?) It seems too complicated and expensive; you have to redo it every 6 months, I believe, which is not worth it. I'm also not sure if BasicMed would allow me to go to therapy as @Lindberg suggested.

The FAA seems to be relaxing restrictions on the SPL. Maybe in the future they will add stuff like a night rating or an IFR rating, who knows?

I've been off meds for 3 years now (Zoloft), and I do not plan to go back on them ever; however, I do plan to go back to therapy since I just had a life event (breakup) that I need personal guidance with, and I would like to go in the future for anxiety or personal guidance.

I do not think the FAA would appreciate me going to therapy, even though my anxiety is not a safety hazard in anyway, and I've never been suicidal. I think it's unreasonable for the FAA to expect me to be "happy" 24/7 and not be sad after a breakup, since these are normal human emotions. I don't want to fly 200 people around, I just want to fly myself around as a hobby lol.

Special-issued medical (I think that's what it's called?) It seems too complicated and expensive; you have to redo it every 6 months, I believe, which is not worth it. I'm also not sure if BasicMed would allow me to go to therapy as @Lindberg suggested.

The FAA seems to be relaxing restrictions on the SPL. Maybe in the future they will add stuff like a night rating or an IFR rating, who knows?
To add to my previous post (I can't edit because I'm a guest), I believe the SPL with the class B airspace endorsement would allow you to land & fly out of at major airports like LAX and JFK (correct me if I'm wrong). It just seems like the FAA is making the SPL a hobby license and the PPL a pilot career path license. Long term, it might not be worth the risk to get a medical and risk deferment (and thousands in medical exams alongside months or years of waiting) when SPL might become less restricted.

I don't know, maybe the FAA is okay with me going to therapy for life coaching. I just feel like it's a major risk.

I'd stick to SLA/sports pilot privileges and see where MOSAIC ends up. There will be some incredible aircraft that will most likely be opened up once it's passed. Check out Blackwing, JMB, and Porto Aviation. If you feel you really need PPL privileges, you can do that later.

Good luck!

Back