County property tax on personal airplane?

for the record:

Sales tax is your home state's sales tax rate on purchases
Use tax is your home state charging the difference of the home state tax rate vs the tax rate in the state of whatever you bought if you bought it out of state
Property tax is a local tax on personal property. Generally, if your aircraft has a state registration that should be in lieu of personal property but depends on your state.

If you move to Texas make sure the plane is in your name, not that of a corporation. Or you will owe property tax on the corporate asset in Texas.

It doesn't have to be in your name but it sure is easier. If in a business name, you can file an affidavit stating the plans is for personal use only which will alleviate any business property tax issues.

Use tax is your home state charging the difference of the home state tax rate vs the tax rate in the state of whatever you bought if you bought it out of state
Actually, the use tax is almost always the same rate as the sales tax. The state might or might not give you a credit towards that tax of taxes you paid elsewhere and it may vary based on what the item is.

The only way to save something is to display your acft. one day a month, if you have an older / classic acft.

My observation is that the assessed value of aircraft that could be displayed is reasonable, with the County understanding that paying the tax is optional. It’s low enough for me now that displaying the plane is not worth the the trouble. But if that ever changes, or maybe after retirement when time is less tight, they’ll get nothing more from me.

Back