Continental IO-360 for experimental

moparrob66

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Moparrob
I gather they can be expensive for certified aircraft, but would experimental category make this a viable alternative to the Lycoming 360? I think I'm sold on the franklin 220, but it seems like there are a lot of these Continentals out there for cheap, at least compared to the lycomings which have a lot more demand. Has anyone else decided to go with one of these over a Lycoming?

I gather they can be expensive for certified aircraft, but would experimental category make this a viable alternative to the Lycoming 360? I think I'm sold on the franklin 220, but it seems like there are a lot of these Continentals out there for cheap, at least compared to the lycomings which have a lot more demand. Has anyone else decided to go with one of these over a Lycoming?
Depending on the end use, your first challenge will be to engineer and build an engine mount. Most conti conversion thoughts end there. Where do you plan to use this engine?

It would be going on a Zenith 801. Im aware of a Franklin mount, so I'd be surprised if theres no mount for the Continental.

I think the issue is most kits are built around specific engines, the kit manufacturers develop FWF packages for them and many of the kit manufacturers have an OEM relationship with those engine manufacturers. Anecdotally the majority of builders tend to accept the kit manufacturers recommended engine selection and are reluctant to roll their own FWF package even though they could, it’s just it can be a significant amount of work so that engine bargain ends up not being a bargain at the end of the day. This is why I think you don’t see a lot of Conti IO-360s in the E-AB community. Vans did try to market the Conti I 360 as an alternative for the RV-10 and the 2nd RV-10 prototype flew with it, but no one wanted it so it was never offered as an option.

Back