Colorado Pilots: Saturday 24 Mar 2012

Anyone know if Mari is in town this weekend?
I'm in town but I can't partake in any travel since I'm on call. I took a whole block of time off earlier this month so now it's my turn to stick around.

I'm in town but I can't partake in any travel since I'm on call. I took a whole block of time off earlier this month so now it's my turn to stick around.
You can't just nip out to Nebraska with the company plane? It'd only be about a half hour for you...and $4,000 in gas. :D

First flight of the weekend... Done. Where we're you slackers? ;)

I launched just a bit early for night currency so I just stretched it out a bit. The first of last three stop and goes is about 3 minutes after 1 hour after sunset. ;)

Got a nice headwind going and a little gusty. Was good fun.

Tried out CloudAhoy for the first time. Interesting data. It likes to call the rollout on stop and goes "taxi" time. Ha. That last one really was 270'. I was working that one. Gotta use the brakes once in a while just to see if they work, I guess. ;)

The second to last one was on 17R. It seriously missed that one. Wrong runway.

Fun stuff.

aefda0cc-43d8-2485.jpg

I still love it but last time it said after I took off I did "touch and go's" on the runway in San Luis Obispo - yeah, right. Then it stopped tracking me in Walnut Creek - WTF? Not sure what the heck. Other flights seemed pretty accurate. But now that you are having issues, too, makes me wonder.

It has to do some guesswork from an algorhythm or more likely a lookup table. I'd say it's doing okay for what it is. A toy.

It has to do some guesswork from an algorhythm or more likely a lookup table. I'd say it's doing okay for what it is. A toy.

Exactly. I look at it for fun. Not for training. And the "donuts" I did when going on my XC, down there to lose altitude, and up here to gain, look super cool on Cloud Ahoy. Heck the BF even showed them to his grandpa in the hospital to help tell the story. "We couldn't find the airport, then circled the mountains...."

Aspen Flying Club is doing KPUB today and a hot dog grill at KAPA late this afternoon.

I assume it's for members only, but with the big merger between Aspen and Skyraider, probably a good time to ask questions about the new setup.

I doubt they'd run anyone off.

Just got a chance to look at the CloudAhoy data in real time via their Google Earth playback.

According to CloudAhoy I landed on the grass alongside the runway a number of times! ;)

There's also some wonky stuff that looks like loss of signal and then re-acquisition on the GPS in the data too. Funky.

Oh well, it's a fun toy.

So the big push is Sunday, anyone going anywhere today? :)

I went to the airport...okay, not a biggie. Pulled the no-light bulb out of the overhead light fixture. Now I've gotta find a 472 036 Bulb (89) whatever the heck that is in standard part number language.

I'm guessing we're planning to meet in BFF between 11:30 & 12.

Don't think I'll make it. Spring is here too fast, have to get the yard ready.

Last edited:
Eric: I hear that! :)

Must not be quite Spring yet. I hopped over to FTG yesterday afternoon (after fixing the back fence) with a bin of towels and cleaning stuff and found that the water isn't turned on at the airplane wash pad yet. ;)

Oh well. It was nice out so I shined up the upper side that wasn't dirty a little bit. No full birdbath though.

So noonish at BFF? Karen finally has a full weekend off so she's looking forward to hanging out.

Dog woke me up here at 04:30 needing to go out. The 13 year old's bladder ain't what it used to be. :)

Quick look at WX looks decent after the fog/mist lifts up there around 0900 local. (Right now it hasn't materialized anywhere but Kimball anyway.)

Those winds never showed up in the TAFs. ;)

Looks like Scattered 2500 up that-a-way later on. Some mist in the morning. All lifting by 17Z.

Looking forward to seeing whoever can make it. Sorry you've got chores, Eric!

P.S. Who's picking up Teller and where, is Mom+1 coming ;) and anyone hear from Mari? Is she workin'?

P.S. Who's picking up Teller and where, is Mom+1 coming ;) and anyone hear from Mari? Is she workin'?
I've got Teller, Mari's on call, Mom + 1 is going to enjoy the day at home (or so she claims....)

How was the restaurant? I haven't been there in a long time. I remember when I would have to spend the day there.

How was the restaurant? I haven't been there in a long time. I remember when I would have to spend the day there.

Well, have to say that spending the day there wouldn't be a problem today. Service was just a bit slow to say the least. They were somewhat busy but not overwhelmed from a "available seats" point of view.

Food was edible to tasty.

OTOH, I haven't seen so many "large" folks since I left Montana. A "large" person once told me to never eat where "large" people eat. Reason: some folks eat because they have to, not because the food is good...:yikes:

I had an omelet that we joked probably should have been served with complimentary Lipitor. ;)

If Teller had any doubts about an iPad with Foreflight and/or WingX, they evaporated as fast as our lunch (once we got the food on the table).

We have corrupted another pilot!

Next trip? Teller flies in the Frankenkota so he can play with Clark's toys.

Sorry I missed this, I was TDY in Moab this weekend mountain biking. I made the mistake of demoing a new bike (mine is 10 years old) and ended up buying a new bike. Took a big chunk out of my flying fund :nonod:. Looking forward to the next CO POA event though!

Also wanted to mention to Eric that spring is about a month early here in the mtns, was in the 60's today and there is mud around my house (should still have a few feet of snow at this point...)

Not last weekend. That was when I was in the airport manager's private office and he showed me the AWOS computer thing. It showed THIRTY TWO knots at one point. I've never taken off even in the teens (rarely).

And tomorrow is a Bay Tour so IFR doesn't help me to sight see.

32kts = a short takeoff roll. :wink2:

Denver set three record high temperatures since Monday. We're definitely warm.

Both a single-engine and a heavy tanker for firefighting are pre-positioned at KBJC this year already too.

Sorry I missed this, I was TDY in Moab this weekend mountain biking. I made the mistake of demoing a new bike (mine is 10 years old) and ended up buying a new bike. Took a big chunk out of my flying fund :nonod:. Looking forward to the next CO POA event though!

Also wanted to mention to Eric that spring is about a month early here in the mtns, was in the 60's today and there is mud around my house (should still have a few feet of snow at this point...)

Yeah, IIRC May was Spring when l lived in Kremmling.

The PoA contingent has all arrived at KBFF.

aeff066e-61af-cf6e.jpg
Nice picture! I forgot to get a picture of the planes sitting together. :idea:

That was fun. Nice to meet Teller! Now time for ice cream at Sonic! ;)
It was great to (finally) meet you and...umm...Murphey? :D

It had...food. It was good food. Not great food. I ate the food. The service left something to be desired. I'd eat the food again. Don't know that I'd go there just FOR the food...

Well, have to say that spending the day there wouldn't be a problem today. Service was just a bit slow to say the least. They were somewhat busy but not overwhelmed from a "available seats" point of view.

Food was edible to tasty.

OTOH, I haven't seen so many "large" folks since I left Montana. A "large" person once told me to never eat where "large" people eat. Reason: some folks eat because they have to, not because the food is good...:yikes:
:rofl: That's a pretty good summary, I'd say!

If Teller had any doubts about an iPad with Foreflight and/or WingX, they evaporated as fast as our lunch (once we got the food on the table).

We have corrupted another pilot!

Next trip? Teller flies in the Frankenkota so he can play with Clark's toys.
The ONLY thing saving me from an iPad with WingX at this point is the knowledge of the look I would get from my wife when I suggest that I might somehow need ANOTHER toy! That said, I was quite happy to play with yours :yesnod:

Thank you, again, for the wonderful ride up and back. It really was a great way to spend the day!

That wind showed up today.

Whee!
Seems like as good a time as any to go see if they've turned the water on at the wash rack at FTG. :goofy: You won't have to worry about drying it, that's for sure!

That wind showed up today.

Whee!

4174f10e-b913-4486.jpg

Got some pattern work in early this morning at BJC. 5 knots of wind then but yeah, supposed to get a bit blustery this afternoon.
I used up my quota of really good landings this morning, which means tomorrow's flight review is gonna be embarrassing.

It has gotten worse...

aefdb403-e597-1543.jpg

It's forecast to chill out for your FR tomorrow though!

aefdb403-e5e5-bd6c.jpg

I'm over near KAPA at our data center and it's rocking the Yukon and has blown down at least one flagpole Colorado flag at the County offices.

Such fun flying in it, eh Mari!? Wow.

I'm 5 south of APA ... looks out window for upright jeep ... phwew ... still standing.

The wildfires have begun.

From the top of the hill south of I-25 and Arapahoe Road looking West by Southwest.

aefdb403-02f8-76f5.jpg

And looking East from same hill toward KAPA. It's in the smoke there somewhere...

aefdb403-031b-decb.jpg

Too windy to launch the tankers, I'm sure, and KAPA reporting the FU plume...

aefdb403-035c-7143.jpg

Bad juju.

Back