Colorado Pilots: Saturday 24 Mar 2012

I would have loved to join the POA Colorado pilots. I have been wanting to meet you guys as I am a new POAer but I was out of town the last two weekends and will also be gone next weekend. I hope to meet you guys soon at some please soon.

I would have loved to join the POA Colorado pilots. I have been wanting to meet you guys as I am a new POAer but I was out of town the last two weekends and will also be gone next weekend. I hope to meet you guys soon at some please soon.

Just watch for "Colorado" in the topics. Someone always gets one started every few weeks in the summer flying season.

I see now that the Jefferson County wildfire is a controlled burn that I saw the plume and signs letting Ken Caryl Ranch folks know and other signs along C-470 that it was a Prescribed Burn on Friday... that reignited in the wind today.

Bummer of a situation for the powers that be. Prescribe a burn to clean out an area to protect from an out of control wildfire and watch it light off again three days later as a real wildfire.

http://kdvr.com/2012/03/26/wildfire-growing-in-jefferson-county/

Here's a couple more shots just West of KAPA ...

4b94241c-1498-4e10.jpg

4b94241c-14a3-fd21.jpg

I normally would be begging for sunglasses looking at the sun headed home on Arapahoe Road at I-25 this time of evening... Note the automatic headlights are on on most of the cars exiting I-25 South to Eastbound Arapahoe...

4b94241c-14d6-4704.jpg

Ugly situation. Here's hoping homes and firefighters stay safe tonight. Wind will die down some by morning. Still blowing like mad out there. Ashes falling near KAPA on the top of the hill.

The official weather observer at KAPA obviously has filtered air to breathe and can't smell it. The two lower layers in this METAR are smoke. Not clouds. And the smoke column isn't "Distant". They're IN it. Those photos I shot were around the time of the METAR release.

4b94241c-15e5-8b19.jpg

If they'd step outside the entire South side of Denver smells like a campfire right now.

Such fun flying in it, eh Mari!? Wow.
Haha. Actually we got a two hour ground stop, not because of the weather here but at our destination. Finally we walk out the door onto the ramp and, holy cats, what's all that smoke?

Back