Colorado Pilots - Sat/Sun Mar 7/8 2012

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
It's a gorgeous CAVU day. Whatcha all doin'?

My buddy Doug has a Skyhawk at 11:00 and wanted to do some pattern work and invited me to come along for comic relief. I may bring scorecards. Ha!

79M needs some air time this weekend. Sooo... Will probably take her up sometime. Maybe drag water to the hangar and scrub too.

Was up at the gym at 07:00 which is pretty much a "WTF?" for me. I'm not a morning person. But I woke up and needed to go burn some calories after a lovely round of Blue Moons at the neighborhood pub with Mrs. DenverPilot last night.

I can also report that I didn't see SacArrow's fart-man at the gym. ;)

Sunday is best for me - I had an early previous commitment this morning, forecast is high & gusty winds to the north (CYS, LAR, SNY, etc) this afternoon, so I'm going to continue work on the engine baffles this afternoon.

Pueblo for brunch on Sunday? I'll call later today and see if they'll be open.

Again on call today and tomorrow. Friday (yesterday) or Monday would have been better for me. I know my schedule rarely matches up with the rest of the working world.

The 'Kota is down so I'd have to hitch a ride.

Called for ya to save you the time. Not open Easter Sunday.

Rats.

Plan B? Fly someplace just to fly, then have brunch at the Perfect Landing? That way Mari can join us for food. If Clark's willing to travel low-class, he can come along with me.

Works for me. I gotta get my butt over to APA now... Heh.

I believe we will be in 20 Juliet Alpha... Jepp Club's 172... If anyone wants to critique Doug's radio calls. Hahah. (He's going to hate that I posted that.)

Are we talking about today or tomorrow? Oh wait, I guess it's tomorrow since that was the best day for Murphey.

Thinking about flying over, but the winds aloft forcast for tomorrow looks a tad high

Yeah. Have a couple of UA's for moderate turbulence at KBJC today earlier. Surface wind out of the East, winds aloft ripping out of the West. Could be bumpy.

Hey Doug. Check the oil while you're out there and clean the windows would ya? ;)

a6fa0775-7fa6-cbcc.jpg

You are referring to Apr 6/7, right?

This is sooo consfussing!

So are we meeting at Perfect Landing Sunday for lunch or what?
That would be OK with me as long as I don't get a trip. We are talking about tomorrow, Sunday, April 8, right?

I just called Perfect Landing. They are open but the only time still available for reservations is 7-8 am. Otherwise she said we could walk in and "try". Guess it's a hot Easter spot!

Sounds like we need another plan...burgers at the hangar? Anyone up for that?

The Dakota's down for annual. Spent last Saturday at the hangar unscrewing and today re-screwing inspection panels. Waiting on mufflers (flame cones distorted) and an alternator (mounting bracket cracked which wallowed out a mounting hole - still alternates just fine, just wiggles around while doing it).

We'll just use that other temperature scale...

Official "I survived the crosswind" cheesy photo from Doug post-landing at KAPA.

Runway 35R, wind 070 @ 11 G 22.

aee88473-b913-6c8b.jpg

I was calling out airspeed for him and handling the radio so he could concentrate on the world outside. Had a 15 knot loss of airspeed at 300' AGL which he handled like a pro.

After we landed he said he was on a hair-trigger to go-around and (like it sometimes does) right in the flare he got the lull in the crosswind and set her down just right.

He said that was above his personal minimums and he enjoyed having some help with the airspeed and what-not.

I was glancing up on final and saw he was almost out of rudder and slightly left of centerline and then it swung right and I knew he had it.

The Citabria was taxiing out as we were headed in and was a little nervous about our PIREP of the speed change, but had asked for pattern work on Runway 10. (Not normal for KAPA.)

He probably got a bit of a workout!

A gorgeous if not a bit "blustery" day out. Doug's happy, and a little more confident, and I got a nice airplane ride. Couldn't ask for a better crosswind workout day.

Metro was lighter winds but squirrelly. Like Metro always seems to be. ;) Doug mentioned that Metro was a good warm up for the finale' at Centennial. :)

Oops. Posted before I looked. That second track is botched. Oh well.

Sounds like we need another plan...burgers at the hangar? Anyone up for that?

Burgers at the hangar sounds great to me! Fly someplace in the morning, winds permitting, then back for food. I've got 2-3 chairs at my hangar I can bring over.

Nate - sorry, but the birdbath is not turned on yet, and someone even removed the hose.

I brought hose last time planning for that. But if they haven't turned the water on its kinda useless. :)

Another "first" today I almost forgot in all the crosswind fun...

On the way to BJC, we both barely had time to get half of the word "traffic" out, as one of those Mylar party balloons passed through our altitude about 5 feet to the right. I think it said "Happy Birthday". ;)

I've seen 'em floating along a ways away, but that was the closest I've ever seen one.

Burgers at the hangar sounds great to me! Fly someplace in the morning, winds permitting, then back for food. I've got 2-3 chairs at my hangar I can bring over.
My message tonight said "...we currently have nothing scheduled but we do show you as available." So what time are burgers tomorrow?

I'm thinkin' of showin' up about noonish tomorrow. Will bring burgers, brats, buns, & other stuff as seems appropriate when I'm at the store. Will put ice in cooler for soda and barley pop.

I'm thinkin' of showin' up about noonish tomorrow. Will bring burgers, brats, buns, & other stuff as seems appropriate when I'm at the store. Will put ice in cooler for soda and barley pop.
OK noonish. I will bring some "other stuff" too. :D

Cool. What can we bring?

What beer do people like perhaps? Various sodas? (I only usually drink diet... Some folks like corn syrup. I'll go get some.)

I also have frozen burgers, brauts, and turkey burgers.

Need buns?

Dessert?

Lemme know. I may give Clark a ring.

We have a family dinner in Lakewood around 6PM.

Also any thoughts on where we're flying? Or is this more about the start of season BBQ! ;)

Bring what you like. I've gotta stop by a store for a couple things for the hangar, water and cleaning stuff, anyway so I'll grab staples as described above. If we consume all, fine. If not, that's fine too.

There are some other (Facebook) Colorado pilots heading up from KCOS to KAEJ in the morning.

I haven't looked at the forecast for winds for that. Just FYI.

79M will definitely be at KFTG by noon and we'll have lots o' "stuff".

I'll share this link with one of those folks too. Probably just him.

Will bring enough "stuff" if they say they're coming to cover their food and drinks so we can meet some new folks and maybe suck them into the PoA vortex. ;) Heh heh.

I brought hose last time planning for that. But if they haven't turned the water on its kinda useless. :)

Another "first" today I almost forgot in all the crosswind fun...

On the way to BJC, we both barely had time to get half of the word "traffic" out, as one of those Mylar party balloons passed through our altitude about 5 feet to the right. I think it said "Happy Birthday". ;)

I've seen 'em floating along a ways away, but that was the closest I've ever seen one.

I think I have a hose in the hangar. If not, perhaps I can convince Ron or Clint (windchaser hangars) to turn the water on and find the hose.

Just in case.

I still want to know where we're flying to in the AM.

Well those guys are headed up to AEJ.

They're expecting to arrive there around 09:30-09:45.

I was thinking wander up there and then back to FTG.

Talking to Clark it sounded like he wasn't headed out earlier, just to hangar at noon, but we could pick up if Clark wants to come up to AEJ.

I'm open to anything really. Y'all have my phone number. Holler in the morning. I'm headed for Zzzzzs now. :)

Well those guys are headed up to AEJ.

I think I'll pass on AEJ or anything in the valley. Here's the forecast for 8-9 am on Sunday (FTG-MURFE-AEJ) at 12.5
Winds: 279/29
TAS: 110
GS: 88

Paul Qualls sent me a note. No group on FB. Just pilots he knows in KCOS.

Back