Class I and hearing loss

A

Anon

Hi, I’m a foreign ATP pilot, holding a class I medical in my country. I work for an airline, I’d like to know how hearing loss is managed in the USA, even though I’m below the limits of the audiometry in freq 2000 3000 4000 in one ear, and the other a little less, I have no communicational problems, I can keep a conversation distant 6ft and when took the word discrimination test was within requested limits.
The AME never asked for an audiometry or other test, I assumed he evaluated I can hear fair enough to be able to communicate. Any thoughts ? Thanks

The standard is that you can understand normal conversational speech at six feet when you can't see the examiner's lips. If this doesn't work, there are standards for audiograms. Usually, you don't even know the examiner is doing it.

Here are the audiogram standards
Frequency (Hz)​
500 Hz​
1000 Hz​
2000 Hz​
3000 Hz​
Better Ear (Db)​
35​
30​
30​
40​
Poorer Ear (Db)​
35​
50​
50​
60​

Note that amplification is allowed, you just get a "must use amplfication" on your medical which is about the most pointless restriction ever. Headsets are amplification, turning up the volume is amplification.
It's less cumbersome than the "Must wear corrective lenses."

Amusingly, they gave me an audiogram when I asked for my basic med test.

Thanks for replying, I’m so concerned about this… I’m below values on the poorer ear… but have no problems at all when flying, just same problems as other colleagues… then it is not an issue in the states. Thanks

If you fall below stds or fail the conversational voice check at six feet, have a voice discriminiation test, by a Ph.D audiologist, at -65 db scoring better than 70% on hand.

Thanks for replying, I’m so concerned about this… I’m below values on the poorer ear… but have no problems at all when flying, just same problems as other colleagues… then it is not an issue in the states. Thanks
What?

Again, you're allowed to use hearing aids to pass the test, you just get the rather innocuous "MUST USE AMPLIFICATION" restriction.

Back