Class 3 Validity under CACI only 1 Year?

N

Nik

I am a Private Pilot and had undergone a Class 3 Medical in May 2024. I exceeded the blood pressure limits and my AME had to put my application on deferral for hypertension. This was newly discovered and I have no other medical history. Subsequently I received a letter from the FAA requesting a statement from my health provider, that my hypertension was being treated and stable. This was sent to them, and a few weeks later I received my printed Class 3 Medical Certificate along with a letter stating my application has been approved under the CACI program criteria for hypertension.

My new certificate does not list any limitations (except for corrective vision), and it appears to be a standard class 3 Medical Certificate, which one would normally assume is valid for 24-months (I am over 40.)

The accompanying letter, however, seems to imply that the validity of my new certificate is only 12 months. It doesn't explicitly state it as a truncated validity period, but says that "prior to your May 2025 FAA medical examination and every 12 months thereafter" I should submit a medical summary to my AME before my examination, as per the CACI worksheet.

My question is whether this implied restriction of 12 months is possibly just a mistake (perhaps assuming this was a Class 2 medical ?) Or can we indeed be issued a limited 12-month certificate for a Class 3 under CACI ?

Appreciate your thoughts.

- N

Back