Chuck Coleman Crash - Las Cruces

Sad to see this. I would appear that he fell out of the last routine, it wasn't crisp, too low for recovery. Horrible tragedy.

At first glance, looks like a Lomcovak that tumbled a bit too long.

I've never flown that maneuver, but I know even the top acro pilots treat them with respect.

I was thinking something that lacked enough energy to fully turn over, which turned into perhaps an unexpected inverted spin entry and attempt at recovery. A Lomcovak or some sort of tumble or turn round the yaw axis, but I think the intent would be more of a snap type maneuver. The whole last sequence looks "mushy". Whatever was happening, it's a terrible last few moments for him. Rest in peace.

I worked with Chuck for 6 years, and he gave me my best flight review/acrobatic lesson ever in his Extra. He was such an accomplished pilot, I think this really emphasizes the danger inherent in low level acro, there's just no margins for any trouble. He will be missed.

I worked with Chuck for 6 years, and he gave me my best flight review/acrobatic lesson ever in his Extra. He was such an accomplished pilot, I think this really emphasizes the danger inherent in low level acro, there's just no margins for any trouble. He will be missed.
Being in the industry, I've lost a lot of friends in airshows. As the old saying goes, "Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. but to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.”

I won't speculate on what caused Chuck's accident, but we all know when we strap on an airplane, we're taking a risk we don't have on the ground, then you start taking out the safety margins and you're walking a thin line. But for most of them, it's who they are.

New guy can't post link. Go to

Famous Top Gun Pilot Dies in Plane Crash​

on Youtube by Brian Murray.

Second tumble on Sunday seemed to take longer than the one on Saturday.

Watching other airshow performers do the lomcevak, sure seems like they had more energy on the way up and more altitude. He really only had enough altitude for one tumble and that was it.

Watching other airshow performers do the lomcevak, sure seems like they had more energy on the way up and more altitude. He really only had enough altitude for one tumble and that was it.
I'm thinking it looks like he can turn the corner. But I wonder how the Extra and the G-1 that hit the lake wings talk to you.

The upline prior to the manuever looked anemic, less than 45°. But perhaps that's just the camera angle.

He didn't even have enough for one, because he lacked the energy to stop the single tumble upright. It went over inverted before it stopped, which was not the plan, at which point he had zero energy and not enough altitude to pull through. Tumbles are unforgiving at low altitude.

Back