Buy Me Some Peanuts And Cracker Jacks

I don't get the point of Apple Pay. How is it more convenient than using a contact chip credit card?
Because it’s right there and doesn’t require digging out a card. Especially in the winter around here: pull into the gas station, grab the phone off the wireless charging pad, start to tap the phone, realize it won’t unlock with gloves on (no facial deal on mine), take off glove, unlock phone, tap again and use Apple Pay, then wonder why you even bothered because it would have been just as easy to use a card after all.

When they went to the cashless at the Dodger, the revenues jumped... not from shrinkage, but people spending more - which is an evil of credit cards, and their needing less people to work the stands.

I don't get the point of Apple Pay. How is it more convenient than using a contact chip credit card?
It's not more convenient than using a credit card. But it is more convenient than using a stack of credit cards, concert tickets, boarding passes, etc. It's also one less thing to carry. Furthermore, it is more secure because it can't be used without biometric authentication and can be remotely locked down all at once if stolen (versus calling the banks, Ticketmaster, the airline, etc).

Last edited:
I used it exactly once. I left my wallet in the car at the grocery but I had my phone. Even with knowing nothing about it, I was able to pay faster than running back out to the car and retrieving it.

I have used it on the other hand in lieu of the physical fare cards on the DC Metro which it is much more conveninent.

Good thing we live in a free country where you can choose who to do business with and who to steal from.
Where was I stealing anything? I was giving them cash for my debt.

There's a restaurant around here that tried going cashless and menuless. Requiring a smart phone. But they don't mention that until you get in there. It didn't go over so well and they had to start printing out menus.

Also like what Harlem Globe Trotters is to the NBA.

This is spot on. They are athletes and they have some incredible skills, but it is just barely baseball and mostly a show. However, I definitely enjoyed seeing it in person much more than I expected. I consider it checked off the list after seeing it once.

This is spot on. They are athletes and they have some incredible skills, but it is just barely baseball and mostly a show. However, I definitely enjoyed seeing it in person much more than I expected. I consider it checked off the list after seeing it once.
Yup, one of those things where it's fun to see it once, but I have no desire to really watch it again lol.

The other thing that using the phone-pay options does is helps prevent credit card "skimming". It's not quite as big of a problem as it used to be since chip-cards came along, but it makes it harder on thieves when it's locked in a phone app with bio or pin-enabled security.

I thought you said you would give them invalid credit cards and then take a hot dog. That fits my definition.
You have a hard time figuring out context don't you?

My first post in this thread was once I have a hot dog in hand I owe a debt. Which then cash can be used to remedy having said debt.

Maybe you could try playing connect the dot. Might be easier.

The other thing that using the phone-pay options does is helps prevent credit card "skimming". It's not quite as big of a problem as it used to be since chip-cards came along, but it makes it harder on thieves when it's locked in a phone app with bio or pin-enabled security.
There is a way for thieves to grab your Apple pay card info if they are close by when you do the transaction. This happened to me in the concession line at a UF football game last year. I'm positive it was an opposing fan :biggrin:

There is a way for thieves to grab your Apple pay card info if they are close by when you do the transaction. This happened to me in the concession line at a UF football game last year. I'm positive it was an opposing fan :biggrin:
Correct, I'm just saying it's a bit tougher to do vs a physical credit card because the phone-pay is only vulnerable when it's transmitting. People have been able to skim credit cards by just standing next to you in line.

You have a hard time figuring out context don't you?

My first post in this thread was once I have a hot dog in hand I owe a debt. Which then cash can be used to remedy having said debt.

Maybe you could try playing connect the dot. Might be easier.
If one knows I only accept credit cards in exchange for hot dogs, and takes a hot dog with no intention of paying using a method of payment i accept, that fits my definition of stealing. Perhaps I did misunderstand your post though.

There's a restaurant around here that tried going cashless and menuless. Requiring a smart phone.

We have an Applebee's here that did that (why I was in that nasty place I dunno) and my phone would not work with their system. They didn't have any printed menus to offer. It was frustrating ...

I guess I never looked at buying a hotdog as incurring a debt. I figured it was a trade: I hand over cash to someone with a hotdog and a hotdog gets handed over to me. Using a card, phone, or smartwatch could be a debt if it’s tied to a credit card instead of a debit card. But then my debt is with my bank and not the vendor with the hotdog that I wanted.

Back