Budget gps upgrade ?

i can use my waas gps to get me to an IAF, then do my vor check from a known point at that location
Looking at the terrain from the east, I'd imagine it'd be a bit difficult to find "a prominent ground point ... at a reasonably low altitude" along a Victor airway.
honestly, i'd have just checked my equip prior to needing those approaches
Yup, and it's easy-peasy with 2 VOR receivers. You'd probably have to go well out of your way with just 1. That's been my point all along: if you already have 2, don't remove 1 if you don't need to. Post #26 was arguing otherwise.

Looking at the terrain from the east, I'd imagine it'd be a bit difficult to find "a prominent ground point ... at a reasonably low altitude" along a Victor airway.

Yup, and it's easy-peasy with 2 VOR receivers. You'd probably have to go well out of your way with just 1. That's been my point all along: if you already have 2, don't remove 1 if you don't need to. Post #26 was arguing otherwise.
true but it's also not difficult with only a single, looking at the vfr map of that area you'd be hard pressed not to find a suitable point. it's def easier with two but it's far from even annoying with only a single vor and for most flying not even necessary unless you just like using VORs. Heck we can't even count of hte VORS working around houston and they are MON

true but it's also not difficult with only a single, looking at the vfr map of that area you'd be hard pressed not to find a suitable point. it's def easier with two but it's far from even annoying with only a single vor and for most flying not even necessary unless you just like using VORs. Heck we can't even count of hte VORS working around houston and they are MON
If you already had 2 VOR receivers, would you remove one if you did not need to?

If you already had 2 VOR receivers, would you remove one if you did not need to?
Panel space and usefulness.

Same reason I suppose you also clean out your garage once in a while and toss all of the things you’re never going to use again.

I’m the opposite of a pack rat BTW.

Panel space and usefulness.

Same reason I suppose you also clean out your garage once in a while and toss all of the things you’re never going to use again.
The second VOR receiver is useful for the 30 day check. There are some airports where you would prefer the VOR approach to the RNAV approach, such as KEMT (VOR approach is from the east. RNAV approach is from the west and NA for westbound arrivals.).

Eh - different people, different opinions and POVs.

I can’t ever imagine a VOR approach preferred over an RVAV for example. There are just so few VORs remaining, etc.

Maybe one in a million airports.

It's a shame there aren't more cost effective GPS navigator panel mount options on the market. The cheapest one is the 175 for $5K, but it lacks any competition. An Aera 660 can be had for 800 bucks, so clearly the hardware is not that costly. Obviously certification cost is a factor, but companies like uAvionix seem to have broken the code on getting STC AML approval on affordable devices. Kind of puzzling that Dynon does not have a nav module.

It's a shame there aren't more cost effective GPS navigator panel mount options on the market. The cheapest one is the 175 for $5K, but it lacks any competition. An Aera 660 can be had for 800 bucks, so clearly the hardware is not that costly. Obviously certification cost is a factor, but companies like uAvionix seem to have broken the code on getting STC AML approval on affordable devices. Kind of puzzling that Dynon does not have a nav module.
Overall demand and liability maybe. Maybe also the additional whatnot needed to drive a CDI. It also needs to be dead reliable. I have had a tablet once or twice reboot while flying an approach over the years.

Overall demand and liability maybe. Maybe also the additional whatnot needed to drive a CDI. It also needs to be dead reliable. I have had a tablet once or twice reboot while flying an approach over the years.
Meh. I flew a nuclear bomber non-stop from the East Coast to the south pacific, unofficially with a Garmin 496. Dead nuts while the self-loading baggage downstairs kept fiddle-fugging with the approved EGI that was trying its hardest to get us to start nuclear war with Russia.

This reliability issue is overplayed anyways, it's the sclerosis of the FAA treating recreational lawnmowers like they need the reliability of a space shuttle recovery inertial module. They don't. GPS power unit continuity is an overplayed boogieman in this context. Zero technical reason the cost floor for legal /G filing in current production be (often over) 10K.

Back