Best Plane to buy to use is an Air Freighter

Rhonie

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Rhonie
I am going to start a Courier/Delivery service, and while I am waiting for several things to happen, I am looking for suggestions on what kind/make of plane to buy for Small Packages and Air Freight?
I will be limited to using small airports around the country, (mainly in the east).

I need suggestions on what you would think would be the best plane to use with in following categories?
Gross weight up to 25,000 pounds. (Please include aircraft that would be able to land on dirt or grass).
Gross weight up to 50,000 pounds.
Gross weight up to 100,000 pounds.

I am not a pilot, so please realize this. I will take your suggestions in high regard.

I don't think so, just doing some research for the future.

You might want to study the Regs ,before you jump in and spend a great deal of money. The airplane will be the easy part.

'East' as in eastern US, far-east or eastern Africa?

I am going to start a Courier/Delivery service, and while I am waiting for several things to happen, I am looking for suggestions on what kind/make of plane to buy for Small Packages and Air Freight?
I will be limited to using small airports around the country, (mainly in the east).

I need suggestions on what you would think would be the best plane to use with in following categories?
Gross weight up to 25,000 pounds. (Please include aircraft that would be able to land on dirt or grass).
Gross weight up to 50,000 pounds.
Gross weight up to 100,000 pounds.

I am not a pilot, so please realize this. I will take your suggestions in high regard.
Who's gonna be doing the flying?
Anyway, the Pilatus Porter is the toy for the job. Made for bush flying in the African Jungle. :D
1980623.jpg

Who's gonna be doing the flying?
Anyway, the Pilatus Porter is the toy for the job. Made for bush flying in the African Jungle. :D
1980623.jpg
Commercial rated Pilots, and I will be the one footing the bill for them to get certified to fly the plane.

I think the Caribou more than fits the bill perfectly. I would like to see one in person. I will be looking around and hopefully I can get one from GSA Auctions when I am ready. If we can ever get out of the Middle East, I am sure they will be a dime a dozen. (At least I can hope can't I?)

I think the Caribou more than fits the bill perfectly. I would like to see one in person. I will be looking around and hopefully I can get one from GSA Auctions when I am ready. If we can ever get out of the Middle East, I am sure they will be a dime a dozen. (At least I can hope can't I?)

Probably gonna be tough to find them. Pretty sure they've been retired from the US military for quite awhile. Maybe the Buffalo is more plentiful? There's a company planning to build new ones.

de Havilland Canada DHC-5 Buffalo
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DHC-5 Buffalo

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-18_20-28-21.png
    upload_2016-12-18_20-28-21.png
    92.5 KB · Views: 23
'East' as in eastern US, far-east or eastern Africa?
I am sorry, eastern US. I will also tell you this, one of the airports it may be servicing is FFA.

I realized that after I made the comment. It is the perfect plane to use however. I will be looking for one.

KFFA. No instrument procedures, closed 30min after sunset, owned by the National park service.

Do you have any business experience in. The courier industry?
Have you looked into what it takes to get a part 135 operating certificate from the FAA?
What makes your service different from FedEx, UPS and the dozends of on-demand air courier services already in the market?

KFFA. No instrument procedures, closed 30min after sunset, owned by the National park service.

Do you have any business experience in. The courier industry?
Have you looked into what it takes to get a part 135 operating certificate from the FAA?
What makes your service different from FedEx, UPS and the dozends of on-demand air courier services already in the market?
Many years in the courier industry. I will not hanger the plane in KFFA. I expect to get contracts from the "Big Boys" as well is the Federal Government. Have had them before. I was well known in the courier business some years ago. I owned a company that had "Known shipper status" and I don't expect the commercial cert will be that hard to get. Only two things the "Big Boys' are looking for is price and dependable fast service. Not everyone can promise that. I have the resume to prove it.
I have many advantages over Fedex etc... The main advantage is that I will be serving small areas, throughout the south east. Not interested in big cities, been there, done that. Matter of fact, most of my deliveries will be in very small towns, and rural areas. Maybe many do not know the advantage of that, but I do. My services will be in big demand. Think about it? Amazon, computer companies, factories, etc...

100,000 pounds? You're in DC-9 territory there. Whatever it is you are going to need a 135 certificate.
I don't think 135 will hack it for what he wants to do. It's been a long time but I think 135 tops out at 12,500 lbs.

Buy a B-25. You can beat Amazon at their own game and drop packages out the bomb bay.
If you need a bombardier let me know. I can even bring a Nordon bombsight.
I like where you are going with this.

Many years in the courier industry. I will not hanger the plane in KFFA.

The issue is not hangaring. The issue is that the airport is unreachable in anything but good weather, that it closes after dark and that it doesn't have a runway and turn-arounds suitable for the sizes of aircraft you are talking about (Single wheel: 10.0 weight rating for the runway).

I owned a company that had "Known shipper status" and I don't expect the commercial cert will be that hard to get.

That it won't be 'that hard' suggests that you haven't actually looked into it yet. This is not like a self registration. Talk to a consultant who is experienced with the FSDO for your intended base. You need an operating certificate under part 135 or 121 or 125. It'll take a year or two AFTER you have acquired the first aircraft.

Only two things the "Big Boys' are looking for is price and dependable fast service. Not everyone can promise that. I have the resume to prove it.

Not when it comes to aviation.

Its a fairly mature industry, there is a reason air-freight doesn't go into little rural strips if they don't have to. Are you going to have a ground operation capable of unloading thousands of pounds of cargo at all those rural airports you intend to serve ?

I have many advantages over Fedex etc... The main advantage is that I will be serving small areas, throughout the south east. Not interested in big cities, been there, done that. Matter of fact, most of my deliveries will be in very small towns, and rural areas. Maybe many do not know the advantage of that, but I do. My services will be in big demand. Think about it? Amazon, computer companies, factories, etc...

Well, good luck then !

Cessna 208B
ATR 72 conversions
Embraer EMB120 conversions
Casa 235 (not sure there is a FAA type certificate)

Last edited:
Many years in the courier industry. I will not hanger the plane in KFFA. I expect to get contracts from the "Big Boys" as well is the Federal Government. Have had them before. I was well known in the courier business some years ago. I owned a company that had "Known shipper status" and I don't expect the commercial cert will be that hard to get. Only two things the "Big Boys' are looking for is price and dependable fast service. Not everyone can promise that. I have the resume to prove it.

If this post is true then someone with your experience and knowledge had no need to ask the questions in your initial post.

Back