Belt-driven reduction units?

AV8R_87

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
OC
Some of the conversations in the auto conversions thread made me think about this.
Why haven't we seen anything significant in the experimental engine market that uses a belt (multiple belts, obviously) for speed reduction? It's good enough to use on R-22/44 and S-300 helicopters, and it could avoid some if the headaches associated with gear-based reduction units. What's their fatal flaw?

Some of the conversations in the auto conversions thread made me think about this.
Why haven't we seen anything significant in the experimental engine market that uses a belt (multiple belts, obviously) for speed reduction? It's good enough to use on R-22/44 and S-300 helicopters, and it could avoid some if the headaches associated with gear-based reduction units. What's their fatal flaw?

Bearings and lack of lubrication.

Actually I've seen a lot of belt driven reduction drives. Rotax 503, Subaru water cooled 4cyl, VW when not direct driver

1000005477.jpg

Some "aerial vehicles" do!

It's a (very common) 185cc 2-stroke engine with a belt reduction.

I know, not useful for what you're asking.

Last edited:
Harleys use belt drives.

Those are usually the last component to fail. Not that they dont.

Been done long ago. This is the Helioplane of 1949, a converted Piper Vagabond with lots of wing mods and a Continental C-85 driving a big nine-foot prop via a set of V-belts. You can see the pulleys and belts here:

1729301609139.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helio_Courier

Back