Auto conversion ideas

I thought I’d chime in reluctantly as the original post was about auto conversions and some mentioned about the Toyota aircraft V8 designed and certified in the 1990s. I spoke with one of the engineers on that project as we were designing the V8 GM conversion for our c172. Toyota shut the project down for a nUmber of reasons, but mostly that the already well proven engine had to be so modified for mechanical redundancies as well as software redundancies it raised the cost and FAA cert cost way too much…and some also felt adding the extra stuff to meet FAA requirements made the design less reliable .also, GA was in decline so market shrunk and ROI was just insignificant compared to the Toyotas titanic car business….and US civil liabilities didn’t help.

As I have wrote on issue prior, auto conversions are more than just bolting a v8 to an airframe. To do it right, and safe,, you need resources to make a matched solution. We had a few set backs on our c172 V8….mostly FAA related rather engineering…. but figured it out. In fact, we just flew it across the country last week without issue and even found some airports with MOGAS, but used AVGAS for most stops. But even with paying more for the AVGAS, we were still way cheaper than with original lycoming engine which made the trip way more enjoyable! We were about $24-26/hour with AVGAS fuel and engine reserves…. found MOGAS just over $3/g which got us down to about 21/hr. Total trip on Hobbs was close to 40 hours without burning a drop of oil, so savings add up compared to original engine. Funny enough, often when we fly in to some airports the fob lets us use the crew car to fill up 2 5gal plastic gas containers (we bring on longer trips) at local gas station because they think the engine is cool….also, many airports have MOGAS on field for airport vehicles and equipment as well. So, conversions can be made to work.

We added some photos on CorsairV8 website filling up from car tank transfers using a gasoline 12v transfer pump which works great if you can circumvent or remove the cars anti siphon valve. So we usually burn regular ethanol car gas mostly because it’s cheaper and cleaner. We removed the valve from a SUV and essentially use it as a fuel truck…. We fill it up just outside the airport fence at a local gas station, pull up to plane, put hose down the filler and pump it into plane. AVGAS at out field is over $7/g, car gas less than half that. Also, you can get rebate on highway taxes as well. We sometimes use ethanol free gas at FBOs if no MOGAS option, but it’s usually close in cost to AVGAS, but still cheaper and cleaner burning.

So there’s always nay sayers with little understanding pontificating on the subject of auto conversions, likely due to troubles early on from home builders mounting junk yard engines to aircraft and the news of crashes back then. But it can be done right and a good alternative to legacy engines for many piston aircraft. The benefits, like healer engine and parts, longer TBO, burning car gas and using synthetic oil, can make a big difference in being able to afford flying more.

I was thinking, how about using one of the new Turbo Diesels without a reduction drive, seems their sweet spot is right in our usual rpm range

Back