And so it goes..

bbchien

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bruce C
Older senior captain whom I've been taking care of for some years, advised that the doc thinks a Coronary calcium scan is appropriate. Score comes back 1,800. Went immediatetly to cath lab. Result- a single algebraic tomographic 8.4% lesion in the LAD. How do they detect 8.4%- I can't even see it on the angiogram!

8.4. REALLY? not 8.3? not 8.434? WTH does that mean? I upload everything needed for the FAA's CAD protocol EXCEPT I do not recommend he run the treadmill. Why? The TMT in this low range of "disease" is but a proxy for the chat and the guy has the CATH!

FAA: "Well since the change in the rule...we've had many airmen enter the CAD protocol from new directions...."
ME: "We all know that CAD starts by age 12 (Wissler, et al, J. Path ~1968)...and is the even CAD?

Well, in the end he permitted the issuance.
Moral: DO NOT GET A CORONARY CALCIUM Scan. Enterprenurial medicne at its worst!
If you really want to know, run the treadmill....

Older senior captain whom I've been taking care of for some years, advised that the doc thinks a Coronary calcium scan is appropriate. Score comes back 1,800. Went immediatetly to cath lab. Result- a single algebraic tomographic 8.4% lesion in the LAD. How do they detect 8.4%- I can't even see it on the angiogram!

8.4. REALLY? not 8.3? not 8.434? WTH does that mean? I upload everything needed for the FAA's CAD protocol EXCEPT I do not recommend he run the treadmill. Why? The TMT in this low range of "disease" is but a proxy for the chat and the guy has the CATH!

FAA: "Well since the change in the rule...we've had many airmen enter the CAD protocol from new directions...."
ME: "We all know that CAD starts by age 12 (Wissler, et al, J. Path ~1968)...and is the even CAD?

Well, in the end he permitted the issuance.
Moral: DO NOT GET A CORONARY CALCIUM Scan. Enterprenurial medicne at its worst!
If you really want to know, run the treadmill....
Yeah, sometimes carpenters must find nails to hammer.

“sometimes carpenters must find nails to hammer”

This is t-shirt worthy — even poster-worthy. It explains so much, in medicine and elsewhere.

As someone who Bruce helped get through this calcium score mess, I will confirm…don’t do this calcium scan.

My doc advised me to get one a couple months ago during my annual checkup. Didn’t say my blood work showed I was at risk or anything. Just said it was a good idea. Next thing I know the hospital is calling me twice to schedule. Seemed like this was a money maker for them. I never did schedule it.

I'm in the medical imaging field. Have to 100% agree with the good doctor. Also, if you want to add one to it, do NOT have a CIMT ultrasound for plaque accumulation either (carotid imtima-media thickness) ... and no EKG unless a cardiologist conducting it.

My wife had an "abnormal EKG" at PCP, referred to cardiology (we're not sure, let do a stress test) ...oh not sure again lets go to angio gram. Angiogram complete normal.

Timing was PERFECT so I got to meet my $4,000 deductible TWICE (all workup except angio before end of year and angio in start of new year):mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Back