Aluminium Ruddervators for Bonanzas?

MarkH

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MarkH
Most of the v-tails have magnesium RV skins. Those things are a gold mine if in good condition because they are unobtanium.

The early Bonanzas had different ruddervators than later models but they were still magnesium.

Aluminum won't balance at the hinge point....it requires an additional counter balance.

The early Bonanzas had different ruddervators than later models but they were still magnesium.

Apparently prototype Bos had fabric RVs but that was changed for production models. Don’t know why.

Apparently prototype Bos had fabric RVs but that was changed for production models. Don’t know why.
Some very early production ones did too, if memory serves me. I believe a set was actually found a few years back.

The choice of magnesium for the ruddervators seems to revolve around strength vs. weight for control surface balance. I know there have been some attempts to come up with an alternative material in more recent times since Beech started dragging their feet on control surface replacement components. I haven’t paid real close attention to their progress since I no longer own a Bomamza, but last I knew there weren’t any suitable alternatives yet.

Renovation Aircraft Florida is trying to develop and apply for an STC for carbon fiber Ruddervators.

Last edited:
Most of the v-tails have magnesium RV skins. Those things are a gold mine if in good condition because they are unobtanium.
I can’t speak to whether or not this is still correct, but when I was considering a friend’s Bo, I found this:

“Textron Aviation now reports that undrilled magnesium ruddervator skins are available for order. Parts numbers are:

35-660002-25 U (LH) $8610
35-660002-26 U (RH) $8099

“U” designates undrilled. Mr. Duckett states, “So if you use this part you will best fit the part and back drill from the existing skeleton.

“According to our inventory system we have POs for both of them that should be receiving the RH soon. So this deal is rocking and rolling!””

Back