Airplane for this mission

DavidWhite

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
DW
So, as some of you know I have decided to sell the mooney and give the money back to my dad to assist him with buying his dream house. He is going to buy me a cheaper (probably 60k is the absolute budget max) experimental after I sell it. So, what airplanes should I be looking at? I could get a nice RV4 or a decent RV6, but I like the tandem in the RV4 and the 8 is too much dinero.

Any other airplanes I should be considering?

Barnstormers has a bunch of Glasairs for sale right now. You can get you a nice 185 kt I RG for that price.

If you are really set on RVs I'd go with a 6A. I've been in a 4 and unless you really like the look of tandems I'd go with side by side. More baggage room, easier to talk with passengers, and if flying by yourself the seat is open for maps, lunch, etc.

RV8s are hot right now and too expensive imo. Let the fad wear off, and this economy tank again, and those 8s will come down in price.

Way off topic maybe, but have you priced any twins lately? They're practically giving them away.

You can get a nice twin Comanche that sips ~15g.p.h. for less than $50K. 165knots.... :yes:

Last edited:
Seriously, Sonex with a Jab 3200 engine. Or the early Glasairs.

You can get a nice twin Comanche that sips ~15g.p.h. for less than $50K. 165knots.... :yes:

...which, if it was put into an LLC that could rent the plane out, would mean that his employer could be renting it instead of the other planes that he flies for work.

Not to mention build twin time, which is essential as a professional pilot.

But otherwise, Lancair 360.

Whats the mission? Giving money back to Dad and then buying a new airplane?

Can we see the mission then?

Ted has a good point about the twin time. Twinkies are prime candidates.. otherwise

Lancair 360, Glasair I or II RG or taildragger, or RV-6

girls don't like tandem airplanes, if that has anything to do with your 'mission'

Ted has a good point about the twin time. Twinkies are prime candidates.. otherwise

Lancair 360, Glasair I or II RG or taildragger, or RV-6

girls don't like tandem airplanes, if that has anything to do with your 'mission'

When David was considering the Mooney, I pointed out that I'd suggested he buy a Mooney a year prior when he was dumping a bunch of money into the 172 that clearly wasn't fitting. At that time I'd suggested an inexpensive twin since the real thing missing from his resume is twin time. I still think he's missing the twin time and that will hurt his ability to get a good flying job until he has it, but given that he's looking for something he can cheaply fly and maintain, a twin isn't it.

As far as tandem and girls, I wouldn't be surprised if girls are the mission. :D

$60 K will buy a lot of RV-6. Aerobatic, fast, cheap on fuel, and you can burn car gas. I think the tandem seating is over rated.

What's not to love? :dunno:

and girls, I wouldn't be surprised if girls are the mission. :D

Wait a sec... he already found a good one... 3 weeks after Gaston's and he already wants a harem? /tease

...but have you priced any twins lately? They're practically giving them away.

...which, if it was put into an LLC that could rent the plane out, would mean that his employer could be renting it instead of the other planes that he flies for work.

Very interesting take on things...

David - have you run that by your employer?

Wait a sec... he already found a good one... 3 weeks after Gaston's and he already wants a harem? /tease

I haven't kept up with the PoA gossip. ;)

Very interesting take on things...

David - have you run that by your employer?

The caveat is you have to be able to absorb the costs associated with owning the plane when big expenses come around. I did that setup with the Aztec and Cloud Nine intentionally, but I was in a position to absorb those costs.

And dump the twin at the first big A&P bill unless it is being rented well. Buy a 50k twin, fly fly fly, sell for 35-40k if a major problem pops up, be multi 135 ready and profit

I can tell you what the Missus said about tandem-seat motorcycles.

$60 K will buy a lot of RV-6. Aerobatic, fast, cheap on fuel, and you can burn car gas. I think the tandem seating is over rated.

Yes but he listens my advice about as often as never.

Doncha love it? Sounds like he not only not listens to your advice, but dismisses it without explanation. I don't like to be told I am wrong, but I appreciate being shown how/why I am wrong....

If he had access to a Twinkie would it get used? What does your gut tell you? It's one thing to propose the arrangement. It's another thing to have the plane sitting there and let him think it is his idea. If he's proud, future success might depend on how emphatically he blew off the idea the first time.

Big gamble, though....

Well, we do lots of flying in the Rockies and a Twinkie wouldn't do so hot up there.

I'm in Denver today and was in Missoula/Bozeman 3 weeks ago

What could possibly go wrong with that deal?

You've worked as an engineer, then a 135 pilot, now as an engineer again. At the time you made the last move I got the impression that you had gotten more than a butt-full of pilot pay, prestige and working conditions and had decided that a career in engineering might be a better gig. Am I forgetting something?

Low winged, castering nose :D

What could possibly go wrong with that deal?

You've worked as an engineer, then a 135 pilot, now as an engineer again. At the time you made the last move I got the impression that you had gotten more than a butt-full of pilot pay, prestige and working conditions and had decided that a career in engineering might be a better gig. Am I forgetting something?

Your impression is, of course, correct. I realized that my pilot capabilities make a decent backup since I have them, but there's are lots of reasons I'm an engineer and not working for mustache aviation anymore. I hadn't gotten the impression David was at that point at all, given his almost daily Facebook posts about how the job he was so enamored with a few months back is now a drudgery, and how he didn't become a commercial pilot to do what he's doing. Of course, with his resume and hours the best flying job he could typically get would be CFI, provided he had the rating.

The arrangement I did with the Aztec worked well for allowing it to earn its keep since I was going to own the plane anyway, and that is ultimately what allowed me to get some pretty decent flying gigs when I had them. I could also fall back on another flying gig to pay the bills if I had to, although I'm hoping that doesn't happen. So in that sense it was worthwhile, and if faced with the same choices I would make the same decisions. But I had the means to support the plane and its big expenses that occurred.

As a non-FB'er, I was unaware of the latest segments in the soap opera. I had wondered if the novelty of whatever he does had worn off, but would never know if FB were the only source of information.

Your impression is, of course, correct. I realized that my pilot capabilities make a decent backup since I have them, but there's are lots of reasons I'm an engineer and not working for mustache aviation anymore. I hadn't gotten the impression David was at that point at all, given his almost daily Facebook posts about how the job he was so enamored with a few months back is now a drudgery, and how he didn't become a commercial pilot to do what he's doing. Of course, with his resume and hours the best flying job he could typically get would be CFI, provided he had the rating.

The arrangement I did with the Aztec worked well for allowing it to earn its keep since I was going to own the plane anyway, and that is ultimately what allowed me to get some pretty decent flying gigs when I had them. I could also fall back on another flying gig to pay the bills if I had to, although I'm hoping that doesn't happen. So in that sense it was worthwhile, and if faced with the same choices I would make the same decisions. But I had the means to support the plane and its big expenses that occurred.

As a non-FB'er, I was unaware of the latest segments in the soap opera. I had wondered if the novelty of whatever he does had worn off, but would never know if FB were the only source of information.

I'm not a regular viewer myself, just end up catching segments as I flip through the channels.

Be good to your dad. Let him buy a new car too.

He actually bought a new car for 2 days after the mooney, and then my mom got a new car 2 months later. My brother still needs a car, but since he doesn't even have a learners permit or the desire to get one that should be a ways out.

He actually bought a new car for 2 days after the mooney, and then my mom got a new car 2 months later. My brother still needs a car, but since he doesn't even have a learners permit or the desire to get one that should be a ways out.

Give him your old Taurus. :D

---

I know a really nice Bo, low-time engine and decent panel, under $60k...

There's a Comanche like that that somewhere too. :D

But it's not an RV, which automatically makes it a waste of airspace. ;)

Back