Aircraft Spark Plug Services Inc

Larry Korona

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Larry
I've been using Aircraft Spark Plug Services in Van Nuys to clean, test and service my plugs for many years. The last shipment of plugs I sent them recently was returned untouched with a note that "due to health issues, we not able to service your plugs".

Anyone aware of any other folks who offer similar services?

My A&P always just cleaned them and checked them out (or let me do it if I was around). Is this not a normal mechanic task?

that’s like an hour tops of menial labor. The shipping should cost more than the service. How is that a thing?

Hell, I’ll do it for you for $49.99 if you pay shipping. signed off by a legit IA

Local A&Ps too busy to bother with a small job. Found the service from this place to be better than begging a local guy to do a sh#?# job on them.

I think having a proper testing unit is the issue. Rather than just an ohm reading which may not give a true condition of the plug.

So far I have been OK just using the basic hand tools to clean and maintain my plugs. The only thing I use that is big is bead blaster at work, I use it lightly with the right size beads in it. Then pick the lead out by hand.As you know you can use a small portable blaster if you believe in using a blaster.
I have a resistor tester.
I have 2 sets that I rotate in and out so I can take my time.
That is a pile of lead I picked out on the glass top.

IMG_4113.jpeg

Here's the catch, I don't have any of this equipment and don't want to spend $$ on getting all this stuff to work on plugs maybe once or twice a year, that's why I've been using this place for years. Guess I'm got to get some local guy.

Why is this any different than any other A&P service in your mind? A compression test is just about as easy and requires a few cheap tools. Mag timing, same thing. This is usually done at annual with all those types of things.

Here's the catch, I don't have any of this equipment and don't want to spend $$ on getting all this stuff to work on plugs maybe once or twice a year, that's why I've been using this place for years. Guess I'm got to get some local guy.
Then like said, why not ask your AP do them? Isn't he who you trusts the most?

How much were you paying to have them cleaned?

Last edited:
So far we've done a lousy job of actually answering your question, which was simply what are other places you can send your plugs to.

But I think the fact that nobody has suggested another place kind of shows that most of us have never had to do that. Meaning it's just a common mechanic thing to do at annual or other inspections.

Do you have a more unusual use case, like you're air racing or running ag planes or something? Or do you run a peculiar airplane/engine? Are you fouling a lot of plugs for some reason? This just isn't something that most GA owners have to really put any thought into, hence the lack of answers.

I've been using Aircraft Spark Plug Services in Van Nuys to clean, test and service my plugs for many years. The last shipment of plugs I sent them recently was returned untouched with a note that "due to health issues, we not able to service your plugs".

Anyone aware of any other folks who offer similar services?
Aviation Spark Plug Services has been a one-woman operation over the years that I used this service. I spoke with the owner, Jenny, after seeing this post. Although the business is closed for health reasons at the present time she hopes to make this service available again in the future. Jenny is related to the folks at Aero Accessories of Van Nuys and her business shares the shop space with them.

Honestly I cannot say enough good things about the spark plug service as well as the alternator overhaul service provided by Aero Accessories. I have used the services of both business.

Why send spark plugs out for reconditioning? The service was just too hard to pass up for the quality and convenience provided. Spark plugs were cleaned, resistance tested and returned with new gaskets. If a bad plug was found Jenny had an inventory of good used plugs for a nominal cost, so what she returned was a full set, carefully protected and boxed up. All this for less than a hundred bucks including shipping for a six cylinder engine. I certainly hope that this service comes back online in the months to come.
Reconditioned Plugs.jpg

Back