Aiplane to helicopter

CowboyJake

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
CowboyJake98
Commercial airplane pilot wanting to fly helicopters. Whats required for training?

Yep. That’s about right.

Edit:
Added a commercial helicopter to my fixed wing ratings about 11 years ago.

When you start training, go into the deal with the mindset you know nothing about flying. It will help.

Last edited:
Alternative, get rotor-gyro, then rotor-helo add on.

Alternative, get rotor-gyro, then rotor-helo add on.
Just different enough to make it not a real value if the goal is working as a commercial helicopter pilot. Gyro hours would mean nothing to an employer.

At least when I was hiring pilots to fly my helicopter I wouldn’t give any value to gyrocopter time. Just my perspective.

Going from memory, about the only experience that counts that you’d have would be your total flight time. You’re going to need to complete all the requirements in category.

Hope you have a job lined up that requires a helicopter rating. Talking a large sum of money.

The closest I've ever been to flying a helicopter is a power trowel for finishing concrete. Running that has to be close and airplanes are not. Anyone run one of them before that flys helicopter?

It’s not $40k, unless you are horribly in coordinated.
I’m doing the rotor wing add on too. Requires 30 hours for checkride, 20 of those dual. Realistically probably 35 hours will get it done. $20k should cover it, I’ve talked with a few schools and several helicopter pilots.

It’s not $40k, unless you are horribly in coordinated.
I’m doing the rotor wing add on too. Requires 30 hours for checkride, 20 of those dual. Realistically probably 35 hours will get it done. $20k should cover it, I’ve talked with a few schools and several helicopter pilots.

Sounds like a private add on with those numbers. It is unclear what the OP is looking for but it will require more for a commercial level rating.

I don’t see anywhere where he said he wanted a commercial helicopter license.

Do your private add on first. That way all your dual for your commercial is PIC time.

When I did it, I did a lot of my Commercial requirements working on the Private. XC, night, etc. Also, did a lot of the CFI training building the hours to my Commercial.

Back