Age 75+ Insurance

What hull value do you use? Falcon would only go to $50k when I went E-LSA. Plane “only” cost $75k in 2007, but they’re roughly double that now.

I know it’s been almost a year and I missed this one. I ended up getting an appraisal when the insurance company was balking at my stated hull value when I was seeking to increase my coverage. They hadn’t considered the market price increases, my upgrades, and STCs. I use Falcon.

What stops the insurance companies from moving the goalposts? Insurance over 75 is prohibitive or not available. Then, its 72. Then at age 70 things are difficult. Then 68, 65, etc...
Already happening. I just got quotes for insurance on a non pressurized 210 with hull value of 325K. I’m 61, Basic Med, 340hrs, IR, zero retract time so I expected around 10K the first year…and..Bob’s your uncle, just over 10K from London. However, class 3 medical or higher. I pushed the agent to push back since I won’t be buying a pressurized version. London said OK until age 70, then I would have to have a class 3. Two other underwriters wouldn’t relent and one, that had would allow Basic Med, want just under 18K for the first year. These are not smooth policies either. Ouch!

My tailwheel insurance has gone up only slightly in the last ten years or so. My Mooney on the other hand, tripled when I turned 73 two years ago. At that point I went to liability only and just don’t forget GUMPS.

I for one don't blame the insurance companies...nearly every time I fly, I hear or see older pilots that don't belong in the sky mishearing/misunderstanding instructions, or worse. Do a search of youtube, and you can find dozens of examples...We've got to do a better job of weeding those guys out.
And you can hear and see young pilots who are bad or worse.

I for one don't blame the insurance companies...nearly every time I fly, I hear or see older pilots that don't belong in the sky mishearing/misunderstanding instructions, or worse. Do a search of youtube, and you can find dozens of examples...We've got to do a better job of weeding those guys out.

SO how are you going to go about "weeding out" these guys?

BTW, I've heard my share of the younger puppy mill types and the min standards GA types floundering around the airways as well. Should we "weed them out" while you are at it? :rolleyes:

Back