ADSB OUT intermittently working with GDL82

Tweedybird

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Tweedybird
Any suggestion that I might try? My ADSB OUT works intermittently. I installed the Garmin GDL82, and the Garmin GTX327 transponder with my existing mode C encoder.
In 2020, Me and three of my “fellow pilots” installed the GDL82 in our planes at the same time. Until recently FlightAware picked each of our us up, every flight. Now it is “hit and miss”, for all three of us. We are located at two different airports, but within 25 miles of Hobby, and Ellington Airport. (Inside mode C veil. And within 40 miles of Bush Airport.). Any suggestions?

Sounds normal to me. Flightaware is not much of an ADS-B diagnostic tool.

One airplane we have has a GTX-345 FlightAware seems more responsive with it than the other airplane equipped with a GDL88. Don't know why and don't really care. They are working.

Flightaware is based on a network of volunteer feeders with receivers set up to listen to the transmitted data and upload that to Flightaware. The feeder network is primarily 1090 MHz based. They started accepting 978 MHz feeders a few years ago, but that requires everyone to add a second antenna and SDR to provide that data. Their 978 network coverage is much more spotty than 1090, and the 978 UAT transceivers are much lower power than 1090 transponders so you don't get the same coverage from the feeders that have added 978 support. All that to say, Flightaware not capturing your flights isn't surprising. Like @Salty says, to check if you are having an issue, the FAA's PAPR will give you real data.

Back