A revolutionary way to fly a helicopter (and soon planes?)

MountainDude

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MountainDude
I hope this approach works for helis and planes of the future.
It's painful to think that, as a private plane pilot, I have to spend months and $20K to become a helicopter pilot, when I can learn to fly a DJI drone in minutes (and have never crashed it).

It's painful to think that, as a private plane pilot, I have to spend months and $20K to become a helicopter pilot, when I can learn to fly a DJI drone in minutes (and have never crashed it).

an aside: wrt crashing a drone, there are those who have . . .

Its not really revolutionary in the big picture as there are existing similar systems now flying in helicopters. Perhaps look into the Jetson 1 as it will give you exactly what you're looking for with no pilot cert required to boot.

My first copy of the DJI mini 2 had a AHRS issue. It’d zoom off randomly but still responding to controls. I figure if I didn’t know how to fly RC heli Id have lost it a few times before I asked for a replacement.

Automation will not remove the training requirement. It might make it harder actually depending on regulations and available redundancy.

An Airbus is pretty computerized and my instructor when he moved from Q400s to the airbus struggled with the systems and training for them. He still say the plane make him feel like an idiot at times.

Meh. This, Next-Gen, and self-driving autos are just software engineers' quest to eliminate the need for pilots and drivers. Just 'cause you CAN do sumthin'... :rolleyes1:

Meh. This, Next-Gen, and self-driving autos are just software engineers' quest to eliminate the need for pilots and drivers. Just 'cause you CAN do sumthin'... :rolleyes1:

"software engineers' quest to eliminate"

haha - still waiting for software engineers to advance the state-of-the-art to really have safe autonomous vehicles out there...

This, Next-Gen, and self-driving autos are just software engineers' quest to eliminate the need for pilots and drivers.
To be fair, software engineers seem to be on a quest to eliminate themselves these days.

I’m glad I lived in an age where you have to do things for yourself. I’m a software developer and I still enjoy writing my own automation for things, but using someone else’s that does things in a way I would not is not fun for me. Boring.

We are on the road to eliminating the pilot but this ain’t it. They keep pushing the complexity of flying an helicopter. Yeah, your first few hours you’re gonna suck but most people solo within 10 hrs. You’re not gonna save much money with this thing. There’s still a lot of non flying learning (aero, mech, wx, ATC, etc) involved.

Intuitive? Well I see a lot of people staring down at a iPad. I don’t have to look down at the controls while flying. What happens when it fails? Is it going to keep the aircraft within limits all the time? Meaning, will it know that the pilot is flying into a confined area outside its OGE capability? Will it allow the aircraft to land with a tailwind outside of its limits? Slopes? There are so many flight profiles where a pilot’s experience matters.

So they demonstrated an auto to the the ground to a taxiway. What does it do when the engine fails in a rural area? Does it automatically choose the best field for the conditions? If you have to take that auto to the trees, does it know when to flare and cushion? Because I can tell you, if it’s using a RADALT for those things, they work fine over flat terrain. However, over uneven terrain or over trees, that altitude on the RADALT will be bouncing all over the place. If it’s LiDAR, I still wouldn’t trust it.

The vids they show are very canned scenarios. Helicopter flying is far more dynamic than basic A to B flying. I’m sure it works great for runway to runway but what about the guy slinging Xmas trees? Or cherry drying? What about flying NOE? If I’m flying a rotor disk away from another aircraft in formation, what happens if my finger slips on the iPad? What if I need to bank sharply to avoid birds? If I swipe to an auto hover, does it know how to respond to dynamic roll over?

There are some operations where I’d trust hands on flying vs a finger on an iPad.

We are on the road to eliminating the pilot but this ain’t it.

There are some operations where I’d trust hands on flying vs a finger on an iPad.

Outstanding synopsis. Think "self driving" Tesla ramming a police car. Just think if they put wings and a prop on them.

Autonomous rotorcraft have a mission, and can do useful work for sure. However you can't replace the brain, eyeballs, and hand capabilities for maximum utility. Not this century, I would expect.

The vids they show are very canned scenarios. Helicopter flying is far more dynamic than basic A to B flying. I’m sure it works great for runway to runway but what about the guy slinging Xmas trees? Or cherry drying? What about flying NOE? If I’m flying a rotor disk away from another aircraft in formation, what happens if my finger slips on the iPad? What if I need to bank sharply to avoid birds? If I swipe to an auto hover, does it know how to respond to dynamic roll over?

You're thinking at the marathon runner stage and they're still clearly in the crawl/walk stage. Maybe let them get some more flight time with it and experience doing more complex flight operations before jumping straight to the most complex ones?

You're thinking at the marathon runner stage and they're still clearly in the crawl/walk stage. Maybe let them get some more flight time with it and experience doing more complex flight operations before jumping straight to the most complex ones?
But like @Bell206 stated, there are already AP systems in place on helicopters similar to this. Just in my local program we have an H-135 with full axis AP. It can hover by itself.

Flying a helicopter is no different than driving a car…stick shift. It ain’t that difficult. All they've done is remove the flight controls from cyclic, collective and pedals to an iPad. That’s not revolutionary.

I've had the misfortune of having 3 engine failures in single engine helicopters (one at night) and one engine failure in a twin engine helicopter. As Velocity173 alluded to, a computer would not have seen the wires when I was in the flare in the auto but I damn sure did..

I've had the misfortune of having 3 engine failures in single engine helicopters (one at night) and one engine failure in a twin engine helicopter. As Velocity173 alluded to, a computer would not have seen the wires when I was in the flare in the auto but I damn sure did..
Jeez man, you’re unlucky. 5,000 + hrs for me and not an engine hiccup. Perhaps it’s time for me to get out of SE ops though. ;)

For some context, the Bell 525 which will be the 1st civil production helicopter with FBW controls/glass cockpit has been flying for almost 10 years. It has been going through certification for the past 4 years and since the integration of FBW/computers is so complex, special regulatory conditions have been required. And the use of a single control hyped by Skyryse was pioneered by Sikorsky years ago but the idea was dropped by Bell for the 525 as it was not intuitive to the industry as a whole and went with 2 separate FBW controls in the cockpit. Plus the 525 can also automatically enter into autorotation when it senses a dual engine failure.

While I think Skyryse and their OS will find their way eventually, they will be at the crawl/walk stage for quite some time especially when they attempt its certification. The making it fly portion has been the easiest part for years.

Last edited:
But like @Bell206 stated, there are already AP systems in place on helicopters similar to this. Just in my local program we have an H-135 with full axis AP. It can hover by itself.

Flying a helicopter is no different than driving a car…stick shift. It ain’t that difficult. All they've done is remove the flight controls from cyclic, collective and pedals to an iPad. That’s not revolutionary.
I am curious why it takes a minimum of 20 (dual) + 10 (solo) hrs to get a heli rating after you get your fixed wing PPL, if you say it's not that difficult? That is the scenario I am comparing to drones, which take minutes to master.

I am curious why it takes a minimum of 20 (dual) + 10 (solo) hrs to get a heli rating after you get your fixed wing PPL, if you say it's not that difficult? That is the scenario I am comparing to drones, which take minutes to master.

Those are part 61 requirements.

Back