A brand new plane still not better than a 50+ year old Cessna 182

I think most 40-50 year old planes, like mine, are basically the "Ship of Theseus." The panel and many of the parts no longer look anything like the original.

I don’t know that it’s “most” but it’s certainly not rare.

I’m not trying to equate the planes, I’m merely demonstrating why a buyer is likely to choose the older one with the resulting impact on the new airplane market. Many buyers of old aircraft don’t replace the entire panel like you do.
But I’m agreeing with you on the larger point. It’s cheaper to buy a used aircraft and upgrade it than to buy the new one. All the more so if you can find one someone did for you.

I do not see many take off or landing that represents traveling, as opposed to training for professional careers. No luggage into or out of the planes.

At our airport, there is a sign in sign out log, and most of the flights originate here, and terminate here, same day.

Primary training is forbidden, so the flying is for advanced ratings.

The airspace around many airports is clogged with local traffic, the airways below oxygen altitude is mostly empty.

Most travel today is either by car, or commercial air service.

That is a continuing trend, and the market for personal transport planes is not going to increase.

In the '70s, CGS to STL by airline for my wife and I plus our two children was twice as much as the club Cessna 172,

Today, the reverse is true, flying the Cessna is twice the airline fare, all costs included.

20 years after I earned my certificate, my oldest son earned his, but soon realized the economics had turned the wrong way, and quit flying.

That is the reality the manufacturers are seeing, and spending R&D accordingly.

In the '70s, CGS to STL by airline for my wife and I plus our two children was twice as much as the club Cessna 172,

Today, the reverse is true, flying the Cessna is twice the airline fare, all costs included.
That's definitely the trend in commercial airline pricing.

In the early 90s, I paid ~$350 for a basic domestic round trip fare on Delta. Today it's $400-$450 - well below inflation.

So, we should blame all of GAs problems on Southwest, RyanAir and ValuJet.

I do not blame Southwest, I fly them. Alleviates most of the weather problems.:)

I think most 40-50 year old planes, like mine, are basically the "Ship of Theseus." The panel and many of the parts no longer look anything like the original.

Agree! My '78 Skyhawk is going in sometime in the next two weeks for it's second avionics upgrade. I wonder upgrades will be available in 20 years???

So, we should blame all of GAs problems on Southwest, RyanAir and ValuJet.
If want to get technical you need to blame the Deregulation Act and Peoples Express. Regardless, the demise of recreational GA was more directly due to liability costs and the beginning of a decline in interest around the same time.

It's kind of subjective, but overall I disagree. 50 years ago there was no GPS, ADSB, iPads, SiriusXM, Bluetooth, WiFi, noise cancelling headsets, flat panel displays, engine monitors, ballistic parachutes, LED lights, affordable and reliable 2 and 3-axis autopilots, etc. If you consider what GA was in 1974 to what it is now, I think it's astounding how far it has come.
50 years ago the best tech was added to new planes, same as today. And at the same price - whatever the market will bear. So that's a wash.

Back