Is it really though?
OP suggests that it is. That's enough for me to accept that his situation makes it a pain. Maybe the CFI signed him off for the checkride and then moved to Aruba. Maybe they just live in different towns. Maybe the CFI's pen ran out of ink. Whatever the reason, I think it's easier to overcome the hassle than to add a potential worry at the checkride and beyond.

OP suggests that it is. That's enough for me to accept that his situation makes it a pain. Maybe the CFI signed him off for the checkride and then moved to Aruba. Maybe they just live in different towns. Maybe the CFI's pen ran out of ink. Whatever the reason, I think it's easier to overcome the hassle than to add a potential worry at the checkride and beyond.
It really sounds like the student just being difficult. Using an efb of any flavor as most do? Do it electronically. Don't need a pen. Don't need to even be present. Just a wifi connection. I fail to see how this is a burden in any way. Unless you have the most surly CFI ever.

Probably not needed. But it takes nothing to make sure it's current.

It really sounds like the student just being difficult.

I don't know if I'm willing to go quite that far (yet). Based on this below, it could just be a misunderstanding of the requirements, OR a (presumably) unreasonable CFI or school policy:

Given the time, money, weather limitations, and coincident CFI and plane availability to get the required flight accomplished, it's a real pain. We're talking a couple of days here, not months. [FWIW, weather in our area has been abysmal since Beryl came through, so flight time is at a premium as everyone is trying to make up for lost time.]

The OP seems to be under the impression that to get another solo endorsement it will require a flight. If the CFI or school is requiring it, then that's their policy, not the FARs.

If I had a student who I'd signed off for a checkride, I would have no hesitation in signing another solo endorsement.
If I signed off a student for a checkride, I'd be available for all sorts of last-minute problems, let alone a simple endorsement if needed.

As a practical matter it’s a little uncommon to find a well-prepared Private Pilot applicant to present themselves for the practical test with an out-of-date solo endorsement, but it’s possible.
Is it fair to say that it's not uncommon for a commercial multi checkride where the pilot never actually soloed?

Is it fair to say that it's not uncommon for a commercial multi checkride where the pilot never actually soloed?

Most CP-AMEL add-on applicants never flew the multiengine airplane without an instructor, and therefore never needed a solo endorsement. I assume that’s what you’re alluding to? Or are you getting into PDPIC for an initial commercial pilot with multiairplane airplane land practical test? Same either way, I suppose…

If I signed off a student for a checkride, I'd be available for all sorts of last-minute problems, let alone a simple endorsement if needed.

Good instructors tend to be available/around/accessible on the day of their student’s practical test…. Thank you!

Most CP-AMEL add-on applicants never flew the multiengine airplane without an instructor, and therefore never needed a solo endorsement. I assume that’s what you’re alluding to? Or are you getting into PDPIC for an initial commercial pilot with multiairplane airplane land practical test? Same either way, I suppose…
By my (and the DPEs I used when I was doing a lot of ME training) reading, a 61.31d endorsement is still required for the checkride. 61.31d is required for the pilot to act as PIC, which they are on the checkride.

By my (and the DPEs I used when I was doing a lot of ME training) reading, a 61.31d endorsement is still required for the checkride. 61.31d is required for the pilot to act as PIC, which they are on the checkride.
Why would it be required for a commercial practical test and not private pilot?

No, it isn't. 61.31(l)

Yes. Two actually. And not just solo, but solo X-country, specifically to the aiport at which you are taking your checkride. And, here's the kicker...one for the way home should you have an unfavorable result. Make sense?

Q? Does a student need a solo endorsement for a practical test? The answer is Maybe. If the student must fly from point A to point B where the test is conducted, they need a current solo endorsement. They also need the proper endorsements to legally fly to point B.

The reason the do not need a solo endorsement if the test originates at point A is the flight is carrying the administrator.
a) “Administrator” means the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Agency or any person to whom he has delegated his authority in the matter concerned.
1722549400035.png

Last edited:
Help me understand what this means vis-a-vis solo XC flights? The requirement for PPL SC solo includes:

"One solo cross country flight of 150 nautical miles total distance, with full-stop landings at three points, and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles between the takeoff and landing locations"

Yet, Page 4/5 of the linked presentation seems to say that this should not be entered as a single flight.

?????

If the requirement is a single cross-country flight with full stop landings at three separate locations, doesn't it have to be entered as such, and not as three separate flights?
That’s not what I was addressing. I was addressing ground instruction is required to be logged

No, it isn't. 61.31(l)
That’s the quick short-cut to the end of the conversation, but I was curious what the thought process/justification was around commercial vs. private pilot levels of certification. (No difference with regards to this matter of course)

Also I don’t know who Shawn Knickerbocker is, but he suggests FAQ by John Lynch. This is really old material and John Lynch’s efforts were not received well by the FAA administration.

Most CP-AMEL add-on applicants never flew the multiengine airplane without an instructor, and therefore never needed a solo endorsement. I assume that’s what you’re alluding to?
That’s right. I’m staying within the context of the thread (for a change :D).

Yes, but as pointed out when I talked about 61.31(d), there’s 61.31(l).

I’m wondering whether there are DPEs who insist on a one-time only solo endorsement for the multi. And if there aren’t, why for the private single?

Yes. Two actually. And not just solo, but solo X-country, specifically to the aiport at which you are taking your checkride. And, here's the kicker...one for the way home should you have an unfavorable result. Make sense?
Not everyone has to fly to the checkride. I always did, but plenty of students are based on the field where their DPE will begin the exam.

Help me understand what this means vis-a-vis solo XC flights? The requirement for PPL SC solo includes:

"One solo cross country flight of 150 nautical miles total distance, with full-stop landings at three points, and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles between the takeoff and landing locations"

Yet, Page 4/5 of the linked presentation seems to say that this should not be entered as a single flight.

?????
I just looked at slides 4/5 and don't see anything suggesting a multi-leg cross country flight should not be entered as a single entry (which is the most common way of doing it).

From slide 5:
Gotcha.

I learned a long time ago not to pay too much attention to slides. At best they are an outline of the things which will be talked about. I have no idea what the author meant by that line. The fact of the matter is that most required cross countries are logged as a single entry for ease of identification. And if you are using an electronic logbook, a single entry is the way to tell your logbook to count it as the single "flight" the regs ask for.

Example: here's the wording for the student long solo cross country: "One solo cross country flight of 150 nautical miles total distance, with full-stop landings at three points, and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles between the takeoff and landing locations;"

Good instructors tend to be available/around/accessible on the day of their student’s practical test…. Thank you!
:yeahthat:

For my PPL checkride, my CFI made some small error in the endorsement. I was his first student, so he was probably learning more than I was! When the DPE was reviewing my log and noticed it, he called the CFI over and said "You might want to re-check your endorsement." The CFI looked at it, said "Oh crap," grabbed a pen, and fixed it. Problem solved in less than two minutes.

Had he not been on site, the ride would have been discontinued in the first five minutes and I would have been rescheduling for a new time several weeks out (not to mention strangling my CFI).

Sometimes they can't. After a couple of cancellations for various (good) reasons, the private pilot applicant finally got a date. Unfortunately, the CFI was going to be out of the country. Fortunately, the student was using an electronic logbook so log entry/endorsement issues could be fixed. Unfortunately, what happened in this case was a checkride failure. Fortunately the DPE would be able to do the retest quickly. Unfortunately, the CFI was out of the country. Fortunately, the CFI and student had a backup and the student passed the checkride two days later.

Sometimes they can't. After a couple of cancellations for various (good) reasons, the private pilot applicant finally got a date. Unfortunately, the CFI was going to be out of the country. Fortunately, the student was using an electronic logbook so log entry/endorsement issues could be fixed. Unfortunately, what happened in this case was a checkride failure. Fortunately the DPE would be able to do the retest quickly. Unfortunately, the CFI was out of the country. Fortunately, the CFI and student had a backup and the student passed the checkride two days later.

No, it isn't. 61.31(l)

That’s the quick short-cut to the end of the conversation, but I was curious what the thought process/justification was around commercial vs. private pilot levels of certification. (No difference with regards to this matter of course)

Yes, but as pointed out when I talked about 61.31(d), there’s 61.31(l).

I’m wondering whether there are DPEs who insist on a one-time only solo endorsement for the multi. And if there aren’t, why for the private single?

Well guys, I don't really know any more. I do know he made me give a 61.31d endorsement and since I was there I just wrote one real quick. And perhaps I (and he?) didn't read down the list far enough, I don't know. So I started endorsing everybody for 61.31d, even for different DPEs. As I never heard anything back (of course, you wouldn't necessarily hear about an over-endorsement), I just kept doing it because it "must" be the right thing.

The solo endorsement for Private likely doesn't come up very often, because most checkrides likely take place within 90 days of the last solo endorsement, so whether or not it's needed, it's already there.

Well guys, I don't really know any more. I do know he made me give a 61.31d endorsement and since I was there I just wrote one real quick. And perhaps I (and he?) didn't read down the list far enough, I don't know. So I started endorsing everybody for 61.31d, even for different DPEs. As I never heard anything back (of course, you wouldn't necessarily hear about an over-endorsement), I just kept doing it because it "must" be the right thing.

The solo endorsement for Private likely doesn't come up very often, because most checkrides likely take place within 90 days of the last solo endorsement, so whether or not it's needed, it's already there.

I’ve had some “over-endorsed” applicants and didn’t send any feedback to the instructor, primarily because they weren’t there to receive the feedback. ;)

No harm done, Russ. Some wasted ink, nothing more. I’ve been doing this for over five years now, and still learn new details on procedural matters regularly.

I fully agree - that's why I posed the question. Those slides seem poorly developed at best....yet they are posted on the official FAA website.

You're joking, right?

I finished my flight requirements 6 weeks ago. It took until today to get my "mock checkride" scheduled and completed. Now I'm #9 on the list for scheduling a DPE ride. It's a minimum of 2 weeks before the school will call for DPE dates (they only do this twice a month). I was told to expect weeks or months before I can get a DPE ride.

Yeah, I still have a few weeks left on my initial 90 day solo endorsement. I may be on my 3rd before I can get a DPE ride, however.
Your school does things very strangely. Are you not allowed/supposed to schedule the DPE yourself? When I was getting close-ish, we checked availability and then I scheduled for three to four weeks out. Then my CFI and I worked through everything left. I ended up taking my checkride six months later than my initial checkride schedule due to weather and backed-up schedule due to other weather cancellations and some other issues in the DPE's life and schedule, but if it hadn't snowed for practically two weeks straight leading up to and including my first scheduled date, there would have been little to no time between completing requirements and doing the checkride. It seems weird that you aren't allowed to schedule your own checkride, but maybe I'm just not familar with how schools work.

You're joking, right?

I finished my flight requirements 6 weeks ago. It took until today to get my "mock checkride" scheduled and completed. Now I'm #9 on the list for scheduling a DPE ride. It's a minimum of 2 weeks before the school will call for DPE dates (they only do this twice a month). I was told to expect weeks or months before I can get a DPE ride.

Yeah, I still have a few weeks left on my initial 90 day solo endorsement. I may be on my 3rd before I can get a DPE ride, however.
Did you get a new solo endorsement on your mock ride?
If not, it sounds like you will have plenty of time to get one.

Well guys, I don't really know any more. I do know he made me give a 61.31d endorsement and since I was there I just wrote one real quick
My guess is that it’s one of those areas where DPEs differ on detail.

You're joking, right?
Why joking?

I’m trying to understand the endorsement problem. The 60-day prep endorsement and optional mock checkride aside, most applicants will want a run through shortly before getting together with the examiner to be sure they are sharp and haven’t missed something. Are you so good that you are planning to not fly at all between 6 weeks ago and the weeks or months before the checkride?

I can see many reasons to be annoyed at the delays we are seeing due to DPE shortages and the associated scheduling issues. It even means increased cost just to maintain checkride readiness. But I don’t see some extra ink as relatively significant.

Last edited:
I am so frustrated with the school that I plan to not pay them for any more flight time at all before the checkride. Yeah, I should probably do a session a couple of days prior, but this "process" has become an unnecessary time and money pit, and I have to draw the line somewhere.

It stopped being fun a long time ago. It's right on the edge of not being worth the additional time and effort.

This does sound incredibly frustrating. But if you've got the check ride endorsement, you don't have to wait for the school to schedule it. Start calling DPEs. It sounds like your school already has a bunch of checkride times scheduled with a DPE and slots in students as it sees fit. But that doesn't stop you from scheduling your own ride directly with a DPE.

I know it doesn’t help, but know you’re not the only one. This sort of thing is a very common problem.

You're joking, right?

No, I'm not joking. You'll note that the topic of "solo endorsement runs out before the checkride" hasn't come up here before, or at least not often enough for me to remember it.

But from what you say here about your school, they have abysmal scheduling practices. 6 weeks between completing training and a mock checkride? And only THEN do they schedule a checkride? And even then, they only call DPEs every 2 weeks? Wow, that is so weird.

Yes, there is a lack of DPEs right now in many areas. But that means that the school (since they insist on doing the scheduling) shouldn't be waiting until you're ready and signed off to start calling DPEs. If I was the CFI, I'd be calling a month before you're ready - something like that, depending on your progression and level of motivation. Yes, I remember a time (just a few years ago) when I could call a DPE and have a checkride later that week - and when that's the case, sure, you can wait until the student is all signed off. But that's not the situation today, and good schools will bust their butts trying to adapt and make it work.

And I have never been at a school that didn't prioritize their students that were approaching checkrides over others. Checkride scheduling got priority.

There is a local school that solved their problems by having an out-of-town examiner come to their airport every Tuesday. He'll do checkrides for whatever applicants are ready, and it seems to work out. It's an appropriate level of checkrides for the school's throughput, and clearly works well for the school and the examiner - he KNOWS his Tuesdays are going to be filled every week.

A friend of mine's kid went through a similar thing. He was stuck in a school that didn't have enough instructors, then bounced around a bit to a couple of other places. Long story short, he finally finished up and got his commercial and CFI. My point is, it's ok to be p***d as the school, but do what's best for you, rather than acting in some kind of way that's influenced by the anger. I'm NOT suggesting you are, just that anybody would be tempted, and at the end of the day the best revenge is doing well despite the obstacles. Wish you the best!

Back