$100 Poutine

Psherwood01

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Phil Sherwood
I’m flying up to Burlington VT in a couple weeks to pick up my son who lives in Jeffersonville. He wants to take me to Canada to eat some amazing poutine.

What is a good airport to fly into without high ramp fees that we can either rent a car or ride a train to get some amazing poutine?

Any suggestions?

The only places I know for "good" poutine in Canada are in Montreal -- there was this greasy spoon near McGill Uni. You may not have to drive all the way to Montreal to get the dish, though. Probably less fees and logistics to drive as you intend than to fly into Canada, though that kind of IS the point of flying ourselves. I still can't fault you given the close drive from the border.

I can recommend a poutine food truck in Rochester, NY ("La Petit Poutine"), though truth be told I'm not certain they are still operating -- you know how those things come and go.

Enjoy!

Just for poutine? Fees at Toronto city centre isn’t terrible. There are poutine and other options and you can take the shuttle to downtown for free.

If you are going to Quebec just because it might be worth while to target a Montreal smoked meat sandwich instead of poutine.

I've had, according to person who shared, 'amazing poutine'. I was less than unimpressed.
giphy.gif

I've had, according to person who shared, 'amazing poutine'. I was less than unimpressed.
I believe you. The quality varies dramatically, and it is tought to find a good (amazing) spot. I live in Ottawa Canada, but have found a great food truck 1/2 hour from here across the river that both my wife and I really liked. The mix has to be just right; the type of fries, temperature and freshness of the cheese curds, gravy sauce and its perfect temperature to start melting the cheese. When it all comes together perfectly, in my opinion, it is amazing :) (from a biased Canadian of course) ... me, a 'poutine snob' (if those words put together make any sense at all)

Agree, not sure what everyone gets so jazzed up over.
Try being out in the cold for a few hours then eat one. Or few hours drinking.. That’s what I think the idea it’s gourmet came from?

Personally not a huge fan unless the criteria above are satisfied. I suspect the smoked meat would leave a better impression.

Oh and if you are talking about coming up to Canada and you like authentic Chinese food, Toronto is pretty good. Not as good as a 18 hours long haul flight back good, but in general IMHO beats where the relatives took us in NYC.

In general ethnic food I think is pretty good here.

Poutine is just nasty. I’m Canadian. i ate it twice, both times when family came up to visit from abroad. Both times my stomach was messed up for days.

I’m Canadian. i ate it twice, both times when family came up to visit from abroad. Both times my stomach was messed up for days.
I’m Canadian. I might have eaten P. once in my life.
(As an Upper Canadian, we never saw P. in homes or restaurants -this is pre 1990 - it was a Quebecois food, to us)

You guys crack me up! I think I’ve had poutine once and wasn’t impressed. My son loves it and wants me to experience it in Quebec. I’m willing to give it another try. It’s only a short flight from KBTV and I thought I might be a good day trip to fly across the border and back. From what I hear customs is worse coming back than going?

From what I hear customs is worse coming back than going?

It's been non-eventful for me both ways. I'd give CBP (US customs) a slight edge over Canadian customs simply due to being more reliable, more readily available and more accommodating when I was late due to weather or the likes. Heard other stories from some folks here but (knock on wood), I haven't experienced any of those stories as of yet.

Back