Dupixent?

Mikey B

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
I have a nephew, about to turn 18 and graduate from high school, who's interested in aviation, possibly as a career. But I don't want to get his hopes up if he could have trouble getting a medical. He was interested in the military, but was told he would be ineligible due to a relatively severe eczema condition, for which he takes Dupixent (an injection every two weeks). Reaching out to our resident docs here -- does the FAA consider Dupixent (or eczema for that matter) disqualifying?

I don't know, the but military will disqualify for things that require long term treatment. They don't want to take on the cost/hassle of dealing with it.

Heck, when I went in, they made me get two wisdom teeth removed so they would not have to do it later.

I'm taking Dupixent for nasal polyps (on a Second class medical). It's a non-issue for the FAA. But, the military docs have different views on things. I was disqualified from a pilot's slot in the early 90's for surgery I had as a child. 30 years later and it's still a non issue....but, that's what they thought.

Last edited:
I'm taking Dupixent for nasal polyps (on a Second class medical). It's a non-issue for the FAA. But, the military docs have different views on things. I was disqualified from a pilot's slot in the early 90's for surgery I had as a child. 30 years later and it's still a non issue....but, that's what they thought.
Did you have to get any sort of exceptions on your medical or is it just on an approved list and the AME had no issues with you on it?

Did you have to get any sort of exceptions on your medical or is it just on an approved list and the AME had no issues with you on it?
My ENT wrote a letter for the AME....nothing more. I got a second class with no issues.

Usually the drug is less important than the underlying condition. Eczema should be if little issue.

Ahem, I've heard of people getting waivers for eczema from the Navy. Word of mouth, third hand info. Although I don't believe they required injections for it and this person was academically gifted.

Open question- Did he “fail” the military medical, Or did they just decline his enlistment? One of the FAA questions relates to military medicals. With the above posts and info it may be a non issue, but still something to consult with an AME about.

Back