Yellow Tags

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
Do you keep the yellow tags that have been superseded with a new one? For instance, and alternator rebuild/overhaul do I need the previous three yellow tags if I have a new one, or retreaded tires, should I keep that one if there are new tires on the plane.

Do you keep the yellow tags that have been superseded with a new one?
Thats usually is up to the owner. Once the part is installed, they are no longer technically needed. Plus, there is no regulatory requirement to keep them. But having a current yellow tag or 8130-3 on hand can facilitate future research tasks at times.

I have a whole box of yellow ones, blue ones, some black, red, pink and even a few chartreuse. Also a few cyan, white and lime green.

Just looking for the yellow ones?

Thats usually is up to the owner. Once the part is installed, they are no longer technically needed. Plus, there is no regulatory requirement to keep them. But having a current yellow tag or 8130-3 on hand can facilitate future research tasks at times.

Thanks.. I plan to save all the ones that are current to the aircraft with the logs, but there are some that have been superseded that are just creating clutter.

I do have to appreciate the previous owners copious record keeping.. I have cylinder rebuild tags going back to 1982...

I have a similar question about 337 forms of items that have been since removed. I would assume that they would no longer be needed? I'm curious about how they would be handled as copies were originally sent to FAA as part of the airworthy documentation on file with them.

I have a similar question about 337 forms of items that have been since removed. I would assume that they would no longer be needed?
337s are a bit different and it can depend on what the 337 is recording, a major repair or a major alteration. So without more details on the specific use its hard to give a general answer. For example, there are cases if the aircraft is altered under one 337, there may be a requirement to complete a 2nd 337 to "unalter" it, if that makes sense.

337s are a bit different and it can depend on what the 337 is recording, a major repair or a major alteration. So without more details on the specific use it's hard to give a general answer. For example, there are cases if the aircraft is altered under one 337, there may be a requirement to complete a 2nd 337 to "unalter" it, if that makes sense.
I my case years ago I had a carb ice detector installed with a 337, then sometime later I had that unit removed and replaced with a JPI 830 that had a carb temp sensor with another 337. What to do with the old 337?

What to do with the old 337?
Is there a 337 listed for the original ice detector in the FAA Oak City aircraft file?

Does the approved data for the original ice detector provide a “restoration” procedure back to the original configuration?

Unfortunately, a number of people over the years have used a 337 to record alterations that did not fit the definition of a major alteration. So it can create issue when trying to follow the existing guidance on dealing with “orphan” 337s. And since Part 91.417 requires retaining 337s for "each major alteration to the airframe and currently installed engines, rotors, propellers, and appliances," how you answer the above questions will direct what path to take for your “old” 337.

Went back and checked, yes the original 337 forms the carb ice detector was filed with FAA back in 2000. I also noticed that on the 337 also filed with the FAA for the JPI 830 install, while removal of the existing monitoring equipment (FS-450 & Insight monitor) the installer failed to also call out the removal of the carb ice detector.

You never can tell what documentation you might need someday. I keep everything. I have an auxiliary book to the logbooks that came from the manufacturer with 8130s for all of the installed equipment, and I just add to that. Since my airplane is relatively young (23 years), there isn't a huge number of additional items.

Most of my "yellow tags" are just pieces of 8 1/2 x 11 white paper these days.

I also noticed that on the 337 also filed with the FAA for the JPI 830 install, while removal of the existing monitoring equipment (FS-450 & Insight monitor) the installer failed to also call out the removal of the carb ice detector.
Does the 830 install replace the original detector with another device in the same place?
Was the entire original detector system removed to include wires?
Was there any additional work required to "repair" where the original detector system was installed?

The simple way would have been if the 830 337 stated the removal, but if the 830 installation was a 100% replacement for the original system, then you're in enough gray area to forgo a removal 337 for that system. But technically it would need one. And since you as owner are the caretaker of the 91.417 records, the decision to discard that 337 is all yours if you choose.

Why discard any of the 337's?....they are part of the aircraft record. You wouldn't remove pages from the maintenance log for items that changed and are no longer relevant? No....that doesn't happen.

Tags and 8130's are another thing...

You never know when a serial number or item might be significant.

I’m a fan of keeping everything in an envelope marked INACTIVE or such.

I have had folks with boxes of paper fora Records Search .

“It’s in there”they would say.

It usually was ; along with cheeseburger wrappers, receipts for landing fees

etc.

Many folks discard the Work Order as a paid receipt.

It might be the only Record Entry for the task.

Why discard any of the 337's?....they are part of the aircraft record. You wouldn't remove pages from the maintenance log for items that changed and are no longer relevant? No....that doesn't happen.
My answers above only follow what is required by regulation. I’ve found beyond that it is very subjective to the owner what is retained. As to 337s, there is no regulatory requirement to retain major repair 337s. And once a previous 337 alteration is removed there is a requirement to complete a removal 337 to null the original installation 337. However, if you want to keep them, there’s nothing that prevents that either. Same with your logbooks after 1 year.

I once had a part come back with a red tag affixed to it. :eek: Upon further investigation, I found hand written on it: "This is a Yellow tag...., (I'm out of yellow tags)." :D

Back