World's Fastest R/C Plane Hits 392MPH--With No Engine

That was wild. Ya know what I'd like to see is Pete or Tony do that in a real glider. I'd pay to see that.

More Gs than you really want to pull. Those Dynamic Soaring gliders are built like a brick ****house to take the loads. I've seen videos of those things just explode in mid air.

I wonder what Gs the pilot would experience in that loop?

An object moving in a circle has an acceleration toward the center of the circle given by:
a = v^2/r
where “v” is the velocity of the object in m/s
and “r” is the radius of the circle in meters.

eyeballing the radius as 50 meters?

175 m/s*175m/s / 50 m / 10m/s = 60g's!

I had a hard time believing the 400mph but if the stall speed of the glider is 10mph I guess it could pull 1500g's before an accelerated stall.

Now someone has to really explain dynamic soaring to me and don't start talking about how sailboats can go faster than the wind either :confused:

nice! dynamic soaring is pretty amazing. lots of energy in the atmosphere.

More Gs than you really want to pull. Those Dynamic Soaring gliders are built like a brick ****house to take the loads. I've seen videos of those things just explode in mid air.

So Pete are you saying that you are not built like a brick ****house and that you would explode in mid air? Cause I'd pay to see that too:rofl:

Now someone has to really explain dynamic soaring to me and don't start talking about how sailboats can go faster than the wind either :confused:

Sailboats can't sail faster than the wind if they are sailing in the same direction as the wind (sailing downwind)

But if they are sailing across the wind, the force applied by the wind doesn't change with the velocity of the boat. The apparent angle and speed seen by the sails may change, but the true angle / speed doesn't.

An object moving in a circle has an acceleration toward the center of the circle given by:
a = v^2/r
where “v” is the velocity of the object in m/s
and “r” is the radius of the circle in meters.

eyeballing the radius as 50 meters?

175 m/s*175m/s / 50 m / 10m/s = 60g's!

I had a hard time believing the 400mph but if the stall speed of the glider is 10mph I guess it could pull 1500g's before an accelerated stall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_soaring

They take advantage of relative airspeed. They get some speed from a fast air current, go into a place where there is relatively still air (where they now are moving fast relative to the air). They use the increased relative airspeed to turn around and climb back into the fast wind (note they have most of the speed from the last time they were in the fast air current) where they can climb and they do it all again.

Does this imply that if caught in a mountain wave one could fly towards the hill and catch the updraft?

i assume by caught in a mountain wave you mean caught in the downdraft of a mountain wave? in that case you can move either up or downwind and you will either fall out the bottom of the wave or encounter the updraft.

Does this imply that if caught in a mountain wave one could fly towards the hill and catch the updraft?

I don't know about mountain flying to know how to get out of the situation...but you don't need a wave to do dynamic soaring- just wind shear. The shear could be caused by "dead air" behind a ocean wave or a mountain with a strong breeze above it, or just winds in different directions at some altitude.

Back