What would happen if lightning hit one of our planes while flying?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I was flying around a little storm last week and I felt like I was a good distance away from it then I saw some lightning close enough to me to scare me a little.
I have been hit by lightning in a car and it was a minor event. I have seen videos of airliners getting struck. What happens if I get struck by lightning in a piper while flying?

If you get hit by lightening it could be a shocking experience but you'd get a charge out of it if it didn't hertz too much ...

*I'll see myself out*

I've never seen a GA lightning strike. Airliners usualy plenty of pits in the skin as the plane moves through it's path. Like it stiches down the length of the fuselage. Sometimes entry and exit or a static wick blows off. Seen a J32 that took a strike to the prop. Nobody reported it, one of the guys found it on a 7 day inspection. It looked like it hit the #1 prop and exited on trailing edge of the flap and near top of vertical stab. Prop looked like someone took a bite out of it. Same with trailing edge of flap. Nickel sized hole in the stab. In as much as it was power by the hour setup and it passed through the engine bearings, it was an engine change.

Back