What is Hanger Rash?

Tim Cobb

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
HairyGoateeGuy
I've heard the term hangar rash often.....what is it?

Last edited:
I've heard the term hanger rash often.....what is it?
It's that itch you get when...

Nah, it's when an airplane gets damaged while it's being tugged or pushed around in a hangar, or if someone runs into it with another airplane.

yep, like the hole thats currently in leah's glider's left wing.

I think it's the rust which develops when one puts a not fully dry shirt on the device descending from the rod in the closet space.

HR

glider parked next to it improperly and dropped a wingtip on top of leah's wing. hole about the size of a nickel which should be no problem to repair. piece of cake compared to a full recover job i just finished. **** happens.

this weekend i'll do a little work to it then put it in the trailer and get the wing home and fix it up right. will give me something to do next week...

I've heard the term hanger rash often.....what is it?
Little nicks and stuff on the plane from being pushed in and out of the hangar. For example, on my plane my old hanger had a pole for supporting the roof in it. One day while pushing my plane back in I got a little close to it and it rubbed some paint off of the rear stabilizer.

Last edited:
One of my neighbors has a Vans rudder hung on the hangar wall. His reminder to himself to put the door all the way up.

heehee, sometimes we get a little punchy, Tim!

Attachments

• ch.JPG
    ch.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 67
For example, on my plane my old hanger had a poll for supporting the roof in it.

I'm confused(a lifelong problem, it seems). Who took the "poll," and what were the pros and cons of the controversy which mandated the requirement of a public opinion for such a typically wiry subject?

I'm confused(a lifelong problem, it seems). Who took the "poll," and what were the pros and cons of the controversy which mandated the requirement of a public opinion for such a typically wiry subject?

Scott forgot that there are types of poles other than polls.:D

Their I go again, misspelling, Its a common mistake, especially when talking about hanger rash :D:D

Last edited:
One good thing about hangar rash these days. That is there is now an ointment that can help your airplane recover from even serious cases of it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• AirplaneSuds.jpg
    AirplaneSuds.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 237
I think I get the idea now. I thought it was some sort of rust occuring on airplanes that sat in hangars too long.

Last edited:
Welcome to PoA, Tim. Re your rude people thread, it's sometimes difficult to bite one's tongue but on that occasion I would have expressed some opinion about the other party's action.

Re this thread, a few bits of humor having been extended, you should go back and correct "hanger" to the correct hangar. The general public often displays the erroneous spelling; however, as pilots we should be more precise, lest more "ribbing" might occur.

HR

Welcome to PoA, Tim. Re your rude people thread, it's sometimes difficult to bite one's tongue but on that occasion I would have expressed some opinion about the other party's action.

Re this thread, a few bits of humor having been extended, you should go back and correct "hanger" to the correct hangar. The general public often displays the erroneous spelling; however, as pilots we should be more precise, lest more "ribbing" might occur.

HR

+1

Hanger:
Wooden-Hanger-for-Clothes-MC010-.jpg

Hangar:
ch2m_hill_virtual_hangar.jpg

I thought I'd wait for the question to be answered before pointing that out...

Last edited:
Generally, I think, more airplanes are damaged by being manhandled on the ground than are damaged during taxi or flight. Pushing or pulling on the wrong things can bend/break/dent stuff. Backing into posts or walls or toolchests or other airplanes can do some awesome damage. Parking it in the hangar with a wing or tail within the arc of someone else's propeller is just dumb. Failing to chock or tie the thing down outside can let the wind do the damage for you. A careless fueller can scratch things up pretty quick. Oversteering a nosewheel with the towbar can get expensive in a hurry. If I was an airplane I'd cringe every time some human came near me and would be relaxed once he got inside.

Dan

I sure hope people aren't starting up their engines while still inside the hangar!

No, but there has been damage from such juxtapostioning. Most commonly, someone will move that prop, even if they're careful not to contact the wing above it, but against the compression it will bounce back when released. An outfit near here found the hard way what the prop will do to the wing just above it: it becomes an axe that chops a great gash in thin aluminum. Sometimes a tire goes flat and lowers the wing onto a cowl or prop. And very rarely someone will turn the master on and then anything can happen.

Dan

You get hanger rash from a dirty yolk. It always seems to itch worst when you're in the flair.

Last edited:
moz-screenshot.png
This is the worst hangar rash I've seen.

Attachments

• PlaneB.jpg
    PlaneB.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 22
I sure hope people aren't starting up their engines while still inside the hangar!
In the late 60's, my Dad was in a row hanger, no doors, dirt floor. The guy next to him used to start up and taxi out of the hanger. Dust, dirt, rocks and who knows what would fly everywhere. The airport manager straightened him out pretty quick. So, yes, there are some who will start up in the hanger.

Back