Went to the Dark Side

Congrats one good looking airplane,having owned a twin your going to love it enjoy

Real radar is awesome, but it does have a learning curve. Unless it’s one of them new fangled units with auto scanning and stuff.

Also, while the techniques are the same, not all radars are created equal.
It's a GWX70. I've watched one of the Garmin videos on it. I'll need to watch it again and get more of the concepts in my head as I use it.

Real radar is awesome, but it does have a learning curve. Unless it’s one of them new fangled units with auto scanning and stuff.

Also, while the techniques are the same, not all radars are created equal.
understatement of the century

Congrats. Great looking airplane. Best of luck with it !!!

Best way to learn how your radar works is to go fly around some isolated thunderstorms and see what they look like on the radar.

Weird, the pics dont say Bonanza or Baron anywhere. Maybe ask your IA to fix that little issue..

It's a GWX70. I've watched one of the Garmin videos on it. I'll need to watch it again and get more of the concepts in my head as I use it.

Ahh yes. You've got a good radar, then. Very good. Better than anything I ever got to use.

understatement of the century

Yeah, some of them are fairly well only useful as paperweights. And some of them have... quirks.

The modern stuff pretty well fixes those issues of olden ones. I forget what radar the Aztec had - some sort of old green and black 3-shade unit. Man was that fairly well garbage. The 310 had a... KWX 56 I think? That was pretty good. And the MU-2 had an RDR 2000, which was really nice.

There are a lot of those old wives' tales in aviation. When someone tells you something like that, ask them how they know, and why.

Not only is this a Seneca on grass, it's a Seneca on grass at Gaston's:
View attachment 133751

So there’s proof he got IN to Gaston’s…..

Ahh yes. You've got a good radar, then. Very good. Better than anything I ever got to use.

Yeah, some of them are fairly well only useful as paperweights. And some of them have... quirks.

The modern stuff pretty well fixes those issues of olden ones. I forget what radar the Aztec had - some sort of old green and black 3-shade unit. Man was that fairly well garbage. The 310 had a... KWX 56 I think? That was pretty good. And the MU-2 had an RDR 2000, which was really nice.
The NGX I fly has the 2060 or the 2100? I'd have to check. .. and I'm still learning. Last week I flew into weather which was on ADS-B and XM, but wouldn't show up on RADAR. Drove me nuts, and I thought something was wrong. Turns out RADAR was correct this time, but that didn't give me any happy feelings.

The NGX I fly has the 2060 or the 2100? I'd have to check. .. and I'm still learning. Last week I flew into weather which was on ADS-B and XM, but wouldn't show up on RADAR. Drove me nuts, and I thought something was wrong. Turns out RADAR was correct this time, but that didn't give me any happy feelings.

Yeah, that’s fairly common.

My favorite way to learn how to interpret the radar is to fly towards a cell in clear VMC. That gives you a really good idea of how your radar works and what to expect from it. Then fly with it at varying angles off your nose so you can see the returns.

Then when you’re in IMC, you have a better trust of it (including a trust of your own skills using and interpreting the radar).

More than anything, it just takes time and practice.

Beautiful paint job on that one. Makes it look very slim and speedy!

Glad to see you followed my advice.

Great airplane!

You can call me Darth Neal now I guess. I bought a twin. See the "thinking about it" thread here: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/talk-me-out-of-a-cirrus.148454/

1975 Seneca II with CR engines, FIKI, G500 Txi with a 750 and 650 combo. It also has onboard weather (GWX 70) and some other goodies like long range tanks.

I'm still not sure I made the right move, but here we are. I got @Ted 's opinion on the move but I never got his full blessing so I did it wrong. :cool: I closed on the plane on Friday and flew it home from South Carolina yesterday. First flight was mostly uneventful. There appears to be some squawks to work out. I also caught a maintenance issue on Friday that they missed and they knocked the price down so I could fix it. Next step is getting to know the new plane and getting my insurance hours in. Oh yeah, and finish my multi rating. Ha! I've done most of the training. Just need to do the checkride after brushing up on the maneuvers.

Getting the new plane in the hangar was a challenge. It barely fits. So that will be fun. People will ask my reasons for going multi: FIKI was the main reason. Being able to cross the Great Lakes and the Rockies was another (yes I know the engine doesn't know it's over a big lake).

Here are some pics:

View attachment 133733View attachment 133734View attachment 133735View attachment 133736
Beautiful.. best of luck to you

Back