Well that got my attention...

Tyjay30

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tyler
Finishing up getting my complex endorsement today and we decided to fly down to T82 from KTPL. Flight down was smooth, with FF. Airport in sight, I cancel and change over to CTAF. Cross midfield and enter a right downwind for 14. I go through the normal procedures, BGUMPS and everything is good, call base, call final. This is where it got interesting, as soon as I turn final someone comes on CTAF and says "Mooney (although we were in an arrow) that just turned final at Gillispie County, not trying to a backseat pilot but you might want to put your gear down!" :yikes: Shocked, I look down at the gear indicator again, I'm showing 3 green. Call back and ask for the person's location. No response. So being just short of the runway I increase power to initiate a go-around. As I do this, I call Unicom and ask for verification that my gear is actually down, which they say it is. Continue the go around, right closed traffic and land without issue. :dunno: I guess someone actually couldn't see the gear from their perspective or they were playing games, either way it made for an interesting experience to say the least.

604-Office-Space-quotes.png

:nono::nonod:

All went well ,that's always a good thing.

If he was actually talking to you and some sort of joke...that's just not right and so not funny. That would constitute a gross misuse of my ugly side if I saw him on the ground.:mad:

I once got asked by the tower, as I was on short final, to check my gear down. I was in a Cherokee 140.

I have had issues of late at the local drone, with someone on the unicom frequency changing the runway light intensity on me while on final. It's not a big thing but could be if I was on an instrument approach and someone was messing with the lights.

Once while taxing in I said something on the order of quit messing with my lights, they hit three clicks and turned them back down for me. Talked to the airport manager and the same thing appened to him on a runway inspection one evening. He announced (was in an automobile) and the lights kept changing. More than likely a kid that has gotten hold of a portable.

Unicom at my field, I think my buddy pranked me.

Right after I announced "Cessna 51S half mile short final" someone came on the radio and said "King Air xxx final 11R!" :yikes:

There was no King Air. It was a ghost town that day. :mad2:

I was taxiing out one day and watched a Mooney turn final. I did not see the gear.
"aircraft on final Rwy 2 L, gear check"
Down popped the gear and a couple of mic clicks.

Also called a glider on short final, "gear check", and down it came.
I do not say that the gear is not down, because it might be and I just can't see from my angle. If in doubt I will wait until I can visually confirm.

As an instructor I've actually watched a glider enter the downwind with the gear down, and mid downwind watched it retract. That was interesting. Turning final, no gear so call a "gear check" and watched the gear come back down. Debrief on the ground, the pilot flew his whole flight with the gear down and on downwind knew he had to move the gear handle. Just did not pay attention.

I once got asked by the tower, as I was on short final, to check my gear down. I was in a Cherokee 140.

That's standard at a National Guard or military tower.

One of our tower controllers got a little excited when a jet crossed the threshold gear up. I think he dropped his coffee when he grabbed the mic to tell him to go around. The jet was doing flight testing and had no intention of landing, he'd asked for the option and was going to do a low pass.

I would appreciate a "check gear" reminder if someone noticed, but a prank on that is poor form.

Big youtuber that visits that airport a lot....good restaurant from his videos.

Thinking you may be getting pranksters which is a shame....from the popularity of his YouTube channel.

Mr. Aviation101.....good kid....enjoy his efforts for the GA community.

In Yuma for the Mooney Caravan formation clinic a few weeks ago I noticed that call, which made sense for mooneys, but then heard it again for a cessna with fixed gear and kinda laughed. After spending a couple days flying there I realized it was a standard part of EVERY "cleared to land" call. Honestly I think it's a good idea.

Big youtuber that visits that airport a lot....good restaurant from his videos.

Thinking you may be getting pranksters which is a shame....from the popularity of his YouTube channel.

Mr. Aviation101.....good kid....enjoy his efforts for the GA community.

+1 His youtube videos are great.

Definitely sounds like some kool kat got ahold of a handheld and decided to play games with the pilots.

In Yuma for the Mooney Caravan formation clinic a few weeks ago I noticed that call, which made sense for mooneys, but then heard it again for a cessna with fixed gear and kinda laughed. After spending a couple days flying there I realized it was a standard part of EVERY "cleared to land" call. Honestly I think it's a good idea.
Yep, at military/civilian joint use fields it's standard. And reportedly, the standard response when flying a fixed gear plane is "down and welded, sir". :)

In 13 years of flying the only time I flew into a joint use field was on my student long solo XC. That was at Alpena, and it was before I'd heard of "down and welded" or I'd have used it (and maybe gotten an earful, not sure whether it really is a standard response or whether it's deprecated like "tally" and "no joy").

Many many years ago at Iwakuni MCAS Japan I and my portable UHF radio and a young pilot were stationed beyond the threshold of the runway while FCLP (carrier landing practice) was being conducted. Our duty was to confirm that gear was down. If not a radio call was made and electrically operated flare were fired further down the runway. the radio alert and the red flares arcing over the runway would hopefully alert the pilot to lower his gear. It was cold, wet and miserable. I commented to the lieutenant that if it hadn't been for the dumb **** who failed to lower his gear we wouldn't have to be there. He replied "Yeah I was that dumb ****." We didn't have much more conversation after that.
Paul
Salome, AZ

If it was someone actually being sincere and looking out for a fellow pilot, that's great, as I'm sure there are a few people that have bellied it in and wished there was an extra set of eyes to remind them. But considering the silence and no response after the initial call that the gear was not down, I think I may have been the target of an individual having some fun with a handheld radio. As mentioned previously, all worked out and we made it on the ground safely (with an elevated blood pressure) and that's what truly matters.

Back